Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Glowtom

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  09:20:19  Show Profile
Is spelling really important in written work? Should an adjuster know how to spell "deductable"? Can we have an A-1 adjuster that can't spell? Can we always blame typos? Maybe people just expect too much.

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  09:26:21  Show Profile

In a word, YES.

It reflects your overall presentation, identifies your work product and lends credibility to the presentation.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  09:42:51  Show Profile
You might want to start by looking up the word "deductable". I can't seem to find it, perhaps you meant to type "deductible"? I find misspellings to be extremely annoying and seriously detract from your credibility and professionalism. If you can't even spell, how can I trust you to comprehend a complex document like an insurance policy?

I will quite often make typos when posting, but I try to catch them and correct them. There is a huge difference between a typo and a misspelling. I would suggest to anyone that uses written communication to make use of spell checker, but don't assume that it will catch everything, because it doesn't. Grammar is just as important as spelling. If you don't know the difference between to, too and two or your and you're or their, they're and there, you really need to brush up on your language skills.

One last thing, seen and saw are two different tenses of the same word. Learn to use them correctly. I'd rather hear fingernails on a blackboard than hear "I seen the hail bouncing off the roof, myself".
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  09:44:48  Show Profile
What a damn fool question!

Between this thread and the recent "Continuing Education" thread, you really have to wonder how far the mindset has eroded away from any semblance of professionalism in one's endeavours.

Spelling is important in written work, some would argue that it is critical. The example of "deductible" in the opening post is incorrectly spelled.

If your work involves presenting written text as part of the work product, it should be obvious that the accurate presentation of the written text is as important as accurate presentation of any other part of the work product.

Is this thread a joke, or does it ask a real question?
Go to Top of Page

Davey

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  10:05:04  Show Profile
First impressions are VERY important. The credibility of what is trying to be said is greatly diminished by the writer's inability to properly spell or punctuate. It's just human nature folks. If you can't get your point across with "proper english", the message may be lost.

On the other hand, I've seen adjusters with incredible people skills and knowledge of the business get their points made with the spoken word.

Unfortunately, it is the printed word that is usually passed judgement on.
Go to Top of Page

Glowtom

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  10:34:33  Show Profile
Perhaps I should have put SIC after the quoted "deductable" in the first posting. It was an example folks. You CAN find it spelled the wrong way is several of the other forum topics.
Go to Top of Page

CAadjuster

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  11:07:56  Show Profile
After working for the Farmers mold "Team", I believe that knowing how to spell may be a detriment. Knowing proper grammar definitely would disqualify you from a management position. The California (independent adjuster)mold manager typically has 10-20 misspelled words, and over 25 grammatical errors in every memo! He does know how to use (okay, overuse)exclamation points(typically 50 per email), and how to threaten you with the loss of your job (typically one threat per email).
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  11:28:53  Show Profile
I have declared all-out unrestricted war on the word, 'basically'.

Basically, why has the word 'basically' come to be so basically overused by basically all that come basically within earshot, basically speaking that is?

Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  11:51:48  Show Profile
Ode to the Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer.
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And Eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
Go to Top of Page

rr

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  13:04:27  Show Profile
The paomnnehil pweor of the hmuan mnid.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde

Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a

wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist

and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can

be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a

porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed

ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

amzanig huh?[:D]

just food for thought

rr

Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  17:34:53  Show Profile
That is amazing. I was able to read that post almost as fast as I would have if the letters had been in the correct order. That's really cool.
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  22:05:49  Show Profile
rr: taths howgash

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

Gale

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  22:20:31  Show Profile
Larry, I know what hogwash is but never got the pig litan thing. Could you explain?
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  08:53:16  Show Profile
Gale, You mean Lig Patin?

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

Gale

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  21:13:44  Show Profile
Thanks Larry, My dad who dropped out of school before finishing the 6th grade as a son of a sharecropper during the Great Depression could go on and on talking Pig Latin and as a kid it drove me nuts because I could not understand what he was saying. I wish I had picked up his ability to make sounds come out without effort.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  21:24:53  Show Profile
ontda orryway, it illwa omeca outa ouya. It ustja akesta a ittlela actricepa.

anktha ouya
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000