Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  09:17:07  Show Profile
Hey guys,

I just bought a new tablet pc. http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=O2&ptype=TB

It going to be very functional for what I do. But does any one know where I can look for some type of carrying case that I wear that will allow me carry it on my person and have my hands free when I'm not using it? I'm sure thiers some adjuster tool that will allow me to do this. I want to be able to carry it and take measurements at the same time. As it allows me to draw on the screen just like on a piece of paper on a note pad.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  09:47:02  Show Profile
Try a CADO Sponsor:

http://www.a2zsolutions.com/
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  09:47:56  Show Profile
Fortunately, because there are no canopies over roofs to be shingled in the Maple Leaf (game 7 tonight) North, I have witnessed contractors using a tablet likely similar to the one you mention.

The pen is secured with lightweight binder twine, the newer plastic variety (for the lighter bales you understand), and it is fastened to the right hand index finger with a double slip knot; so as not to affect circulation as the pen dangles from the finger or gets stuck in any ice build up.

The tablet is protected and harnessed with a combination of duct tape and plastic grocery sacs, and with the heavier binder twine. The tape keeps the edges of the plastic sac secure to the tablet, so it can be pulled over the tablet at least 12 times before replacement is required; and this generally protects the tablet from roofer drool, and the elements of nature because there is no canopy over the roof. The binder twine (the round bale double gauge stuff) is doubled over, then knotted to the grocery sac handles, then around the red neck of the person carrying the device. A few attempts at custom measuring the twine is apparently necessary to avoid the troublesome issues related to slack; which I hear allows the tablet to slap the groin of the person it is suspended from as they hurry down their ladder, perhaps to seek shelter under a canopy.

I hope this will give you a start.
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  09:53:35  Show Profile
Instead of being an armchair quarterback, looks like you have discovered a new niche as a stand-up comedian.

It probably pays more too.

Edited by - JimF on 04/20/2004 09:59:38
Go to Top of Page

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  10:12:01  Show Profile
CCar,
Do not quit your day job please for the Love of God and for the sake of every one's sense of humor! :P
Go to Top of Page

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  10:45:53  Show Profile
Aww come on... that was funny.

DemiGod. I did see some flood adjusters using a tablet you described when I worked in LA lsat year for the cane that wasn't. Maybe some of the people who post here and work flood will know about it.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  11:15:17  Show Profile
yeah Jennifer I can't wait to start using it on claims. I can use it to graph the roof and siding and we use an excel worksheet for calculating square footage etc. etc. So as long as I get everything while I'm at the home owner's house the file is finished. I hate going back to the home or office only to find I missed something that requires an additional visit! ARGG! And with digital cameras they have these days I take the pics and upload immediatly to the clients excel file. hooha!

But what turns me on the most about it that it's something that will set us apart from our competition in the field. Hopefully homeowners will notice the use of technology and identify us as those people using the cool pc's in the field! hehe.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  11:51:51  Show Profile
In our array of equipment, we have a View Sonic, Tablet PC. This was loaded with DDS, Simsol and Powerclaim at the last CADO convention.

All of the programs seemed to work well, it also is wireless 802.11b, and so it could transmit to the vehicle printer if necessary.

Also we have A Pro-Blue that we are trying out.

The FEMA inspectors use a system of pen tablets that they upload and download all of their assignments with. Have seen them in operation several times.

Eigensoft, a company in Maine was trying to implement a PDA with a small estimating system, and it was in experimental stages back in 2001, but don’t know if it ever got off the ground. They also were an exhibitor at the CADO 2000 convention.

The use of the table PC will become more acceptable as the speeds increase.
Go to Top of Page

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  17:07:57  Show Profile
I used to use the pocket pc by Toshiba it was the full office suite problem was it did not do well in direct sunlight, so it promptly ended up in the junk box. Another $450 wasted! = (
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  18:29:59  Show Profile
Clayton, I know you are from the same country as Red Green, but are you two also related by blood? Sounds to me like you've been spending too much time at the Possum Lodge.
Go to Top of Page

Johnd

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  19:21:37  Show Profile
Kile, easy there about our Possum Lodge.......... only members are normal .....

John Durham
sui cuique fingunt fortunam
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  21:13:49  Show Profile
DG, talking about tablets and chalk etc, would you give me a short lesson on chat roof 'code'. I have no idea what all of those things are that you type, like; =(, or :P, etc etc. If it means you are swearing at me, that's okay; I've seen it look worse.

Remember, if your wife can't find you handsome, make sure she can find you handy. That's Lodge talk, from the skills session on minimizing the demand for honeydo lists.
Go to Top of Page

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  22:04:05  Show Profile
ok I can tell that your only exposure to forums and chat is limited! lol

lol = lots of laughs
= ) and = ( is a smile and a frown
ROFL = rolling on the floor laughing
ROFLMAO = rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.
:P = my sticking my tongue out at you to keep things light hearted

There are others such as
=| or =/ and =0

Then there is spelling words like this: W@NT You2 Mon3y and 371T3 <---means elite

The number 3 is often miss typed for the letter E as they are in close proximity on the keyboard so in chat rooms and forum boards it's kinda taken on as a way to spell words.
Go to Top of Page

Wes

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  23:18:31  Show Profile
CCarr if you click on the "reply to topic" button and hover your mouse pointer over the smilies on the left hand of the screen it will show you what the actual typed characters are for the smilies. These are referred to as emoticons in the internet world. They serve the same purpose in typed conversation as would your body language in spoken communication. A perfect example of this is in another thread were a poster accuses another poster of not recognizing sarcasm. Sarcasm depends a great deal on body language to come across correctly and of course it is impossible to read body language in a chat room or forum. Check this website out and you will be a chat room/forum user expert.

http://www.saint-mike.org/TOS/Protocols/Emoticons.html

Edited by - Wes on 04/20/2004 23:22:48
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  09:47:33  Show Profile
Hey!!! I like Possum Lodge! In fact, our playhouse and Possum Lodge have a lot in common.
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  10:30:49  Show Profile
Well not exactly Ghost.

At Possum Lodge, membership is a little more exclusive.

THEY wouldn't let Con Man in as a member...

Plus you should see John Durham in his raccoon hat when he opens the Possum Lodge meetings on Tuesday night...It's a sight to behold.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000