Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

inside man

45 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  13:57:49  Show Profile
Linda,
You are right. Not all independents, staff adjusters or any group of people should be painted with a single brush. Being an independent adjuster myself I certainly don't wish to malign the whole profession. I am merely bringing you the "evening news" if you will - stories about the good things that happen in the course of the day doesn't make for good ratings.
I do see plenty of files that come in that are well done, professional and good examples of the "quality" work product that you infer to in your post. Unfortunately the bad examples stand out and are a source of embarassment to myself as an independent adjuster. All I can think of is it's just not that hard to produce an acceptable and useful work product for the inside staff adjuster that has to conclude the claim. All it takes is a little extra time and some pride in your work.
Maybe I have been whinning and complaining too much on these pages? Maybe my brain is turning into mush from working in a cubicle for the last 2 months?
Well, nothing a good mid-west or northeast snow/ice storm or Texas hailstorm can't fix!

Sincerely,

Stir Crazy Inside Man
Go to Top of Page

Linda

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  14:24:13  Show Profile
Well, why didn't you say so in the first place. Had I known you were in one of those cubicles you bump both elbows on while attempting to sit in your chair it would have explained a lot!

I did that for 15 months and every day remembered why I love being a cat adjuster. Guess being cooped up in this hotel room waiting for the weather to break has made me a little "testy", too.

But the actions of just a few sure make it difficult for the many to overcome.

I realize how little effort it takes to do it right. But it does take effort-just not much!

Hope you get to see the blue sky soon!

Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  15:22:42  Show Profile
Inside, good to see you back. No, you are not whinning too much, I think it is good to bring to our audience what you are seeing that needs drastic improvement.

But, Linda makes a valid point, that I as well have repeated in my own cold style in the past. "The actions of just a few sure make it difficult for the many to overcome".

I have said 'we' have to do our own 'weeding'. Inside, when you are confronted with the mess you see and tell us about, what do you do about it? What steps do you take to initiate that this person is identified to your peers and not allowed to further dirty our unshiny image any further?

"We" all have to start making ammends and take the apporpriate actions to minimize and / or prevent this type of thing.
Go to Top of Page

Darryl

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  15:51:28  Show Profile
A rule I always tell adjusters is, if you climb it measure, photo and diagram it. It properly documents the file and may save a return trip. No damage documentation is as important as damage documentation, if not more so.
Go to Top of Page

okclarryd

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  10:56:52  Show Profile
MY rule of thumb is 'if my foot hits it, I measure and diagram it' Other than that, I'm probly (that's Okie for probably) just as lazy as the rest of 'em.

LARRY D HARDIN
Go to Top of Page

Dancatman

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  11:12:22  Show Profile
It adds a little something to the file when you measure and diagram the roof. Take a few good photos of the damage area and the rest of the roof. (CYA). The carrier will appreciate your efforts. Quality of your work will keep you on the (A) list.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  09:12:07  Show Profile
Am I understanding this right? It sounds like some of you are saying that "the more money you are paid, the better adjuster you'll be?" You'll measure a roof when there's minor damage it they pay me to. I bet your phones are ringing off the hook with carriers wanting you to come and work their claims for them.

I am not saying your measure a roof in every instance. You gather the information you need to settle the claim and whatever other info your local management asks you to get. We all do this because we are paid to and those of us who do it RIGHT and sometimes go the little extra mile in some cases, do it alot more often than those of you who do not.
Go to Top of Page

mshort68

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  19:50:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CatDaddy

Am I understanding this right? It sounds like some of you are saying that "the more money you are paid, the better adjuster you'll be?" You'll measure a roof when there's minor damage it they pay me to. I bet your phones are ringing off the hook with carriers wanting you to come and work their claims for them.

I am not saying your measure a roof in every instance. You gather the information you need to settle the claim and whatever other info your local management asks you to get. We all do this because we are paid to and those of us who do it RIGHT and sometimes go the little extra mile in some cases, do it alot more often than those of you who do not.

The grass is always greener on the other side, but it still has to be mowed!
Go to Top of Page

mshort68

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  19:51:21  Show Profile
Do you even know what you are talking about? Who do you work for SF?
quote:
Originally posted by CatDaddy

The grass is always greener on the other side, but it still has to be mowed!
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  21:10:13  Show Profile
Memo to CatDaddy: If you read my post under this thread and came away with that conclusion you did, then you failed in understanding my comments and intent.

Whether blessed or cursed or just lucky, I have other talents and profit centers I can (and do) rely on, rather than agree to adjust roof claims for a 60 or even 70 percent portion of a Fifty Dollar or even Hundred Dollar fee bill.

As 'independent adjusters' we each have not only the right but the responsibility to decide what we are worth. And as such, we thus 'vote' with our 'feet' (or our wallets) whether we will adjust claims for low paying or two dollar vendors.

I suppose given the large number of claims that State Farm could provide a service provider (vendor), that if your entire independent cat needs were put out for low bid to every vendor with the understanding that one lowest vendor was going to get an exclusive contract to handle all State Farm work, that there would be one vendor out there somewhere willing to bid the work for $29.95 per claim (or as Earl Schieb would no doubt say: hmmmm, 2 million claims X $11.98 ain't bad for an ole country boy never mind the poor adjuster fools working for us).

The corresponding effect of such an action would do nothing to elevate the quality of the adjusters nor the adjustments. Nor in the end, my contention is your cost savings would more than be offset by customer dissatisfaction, increased litigation and bad faith actions, and higher indemnity payouts.

Whether I were working an assigment with State Farm or Outhouse Mutual, I suggested and cling to the viewpoint I expressed earlier, that no adjuster should be required nor should he perform roof diagramming and measuring for a minimum charge, or no claim, or where the compensation is not commiserate with the amount of time required to be expended.

For us as independent cat adjusters, unlike staff, our time is our money. And our time, as well as our knowledge and proficiency are what we have to sell.

All I was and am saying is that I value my knowledge and I value my claims handling proficiency and I VALUE MY TIME. AND I expect to be paid for it.

Others may have different self worth values admittedly, but generally not without cause.

And if others of the one peril and roof thumper knack want to work for you or any other carrier for free or next to nothing, that's fine.

I'll be happy to stay at home and watch your 1 Peril Adjuster's Circus and Roof Thumper's Ball from a distance.

But remember the many of us when you need REAL ADJUSTERS!

Edited by - JimF on 01/27/2003 21:20:45
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2003 :  22:38:25  Show Profile
JimF - I will be the first to admit I may have taken a couple of broad strokes with my remarks in that post. I believe it was my 1st or 2nd entry here at CADO. After I had hit submit, I took two steps back and read it all again and I felt like I had jumped to some conclusions and painted alot of folks with problems I had seen in the past. If I knew how to change it, I would have then.

The policy used to be "if you climb it, measure it." It was something we did to assist others that might have to reopen the file for one reason or another down the road. If it was an issue concerning scope, this may help bring any of these issues to a quicker resolution.

Then came realization that extra work was being done and if issues with roof claims arose, a reinspection was usually neccessary and the roof could be measured at that time if needed.

Now, its one of those regional differences. Some areas want you to measure every roof, damaged or not. Others only ask you to do so if you find any type of damage.

As an old schooler, I find it hard to let go sometimes. I will revise my previous statement by simply saying do it the way you are asked to. There will be times when, by the guidelines your were given, you would not be required to diagram and measure a roof but your experience will tell you otherwise. Just do what you think you need to do.

Whether they allow you guys to bill for times when you are asked to diagram and measure an undamaged roof as part of a file requirement would be up to the carrier. I would see no problem in asking that question but I would have the vendor ask the carrier's local management how they would want to handle it if such a mandate is implemented. I have no knowledge of how something like that has been handled in the past.

Sincerely,

The Kind'r, Gent'lr, CatDaddy
Go to Top of Page

whitstorm

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  10:09:26  Show Profile
The more/better work you do, the more you will work - that's the real story. I know too many people that have their "pride" and will not do anything unless they get the "extra" dollar. Please - all of you that have this mentality - Do stay home. That leaves the rest of us "overworkers" and "kiss-asses" with more work, more frequency of work, more claims, etc, etc, etc.

You should not have to be told how to handle the claims when you go to a storm. If the storm boss has to tell you to measure/diagram every roof, or if you even have the cajones to ask that question and be blankly stared at in disbelief, then you will probably be the first to go (and even further, if you have that mentality, then you will probably not be requested back, because that will not be the first problem you will have at that storm.) If you can "do your own work" and do a little extra "on your own" then you might get lucky to stick around and handle an extra 100, 200, 500 claims (hell, I've even stuck around and finished 1500+ in a year).

That, my friends, is called "marketing Yourself", not "Being marketed". You will not have to ask for the extra money, it will come to you, and you will build better relationships. You don't want to be a "Do-I-Have-To person" or a "I-don't-do person" - you want to be a "I-Do person", but not have to say it - just show it in your work. No one will ever say you are not a good adjuster because you do "too much".

This is all just my opinion and is based on my past experiences. There is no "right" and "wrong" way to live your life, or type of person to be.

Jeff S. Whittington
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  11:32:41  Show Profile
I use the git rule also, if I git my ladder out and git on it, measure, diagram and photo; before I git away.
Go to Top of Page

danmeler

25 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  16:48:39  Show Profile
What's the point of this thread? The carrier dictates the requirements. Anyone who doesn't follow them to the letter isn't doing himself/herself ANY favors. Measure/don't measure...who gives a rip...just do the job as required...no more, no less.
Go to Top of Page

leoncrow

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  12:23:15  Show Profile
bravo jim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000