Hardware Forum
 Portable printers
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lon Sterling

68 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2002 :  10:52:41  Show Profile
What types of portable printers have proven to be the best for field use - plain paper only? What is the quality like? speed, brands, reliabilty, portabilty, D/C options, alignment of worksheets. cost of cartridges, prints per cartridge, etc. Thanks.

Lon

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2002 :  22:46:45  Show Profile
Lon, I kind of give up portability for utility. I have not carried this unit on a job but I take it to school. It is the Hp 950 psc. You can use it stand alone or with the computer. It has the fastest scanner i have used. It is a stand alone fax. Also it will print out photos with or without the computer. It has three slots for all the digital media cards. It is a fairly light unit. The carts. cost about 20 bucks each on the net. I liked it so well I bought a second to replace a laser printer I sometimes use in the office . You can get the big carts at the price I mentioned. It is something to look at any how,hp web page. Very high quality.
You will need an inverter to power it, that way you can use it mobil or fixed. Three other friends have seen mine a bought one and love em.
Go to Top of Page

Lon Sterling

68 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2002 :  02:30:31  Show Profile
Hey Newt,

That sounds like exactly what I need. I already have a good inverter to charge my digital camera and extra telephone battery and laptop without having a bunch of gang plugs going into the lighter. About what should you expect to pay for one of these units and since you mentioned fax - does it do wireless faxing without having to be plugged into a land line?

Lon
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2002 :  11:08:31  Show Profile
Lon, On the wireless, I am going to check into this.At the persent time, I don't have a cell phone, I had two before and lived so far out in the boondocks they were worthless untill I got about six miles from the house. Now we are getting Verizone next month and I'll get one. The cost of the printer is under 400 probably that much with shipping or tax. I got mine from Office Depot. Best buy also has them or Ebay. One thing I will say it is one great piece of equipment.
The cartrages semm to last longer, they come with the small ones, I bought five of the big ones and I am still using the small one. I have no idea when it will run out of ink, but I have used it a lot. iF YOU ARE LIKE ME AND LIKE GOOD TOOLS, YOU WILL LIKE IT.
I just got in last night from attending s FEMA housing inpector course, I wanted to find out how they operate, anyhow I learned a lot. They will cover a lot or things Insurance does not.
Things as washed out driveways, culverts,removal of damaged standing trees left after a storm.
It would be nice to be able to tell some one who KNOWS they are not covered by insurance where they could get help for some losses. If I thought I was studying the field for just the insurers benifit I would walk away and if they don't have coverage I would like to give them some informed options. You can still be fair and be concerned with the insured problem, and I could care less about the uncaring, unconcerned people who use the dogmatic approach. Their disposition is what inflames the client to the point of getting a lawyer. I get along very well with people, always will, because if they got a problem, I got one. If the few people that
meet me don't like me, its their problem and I can do nothing about it. I do not have any idea why I started preaching on this subject, another sign of getting old.
I have noted that you are an intense person in your undertaking of the roofing business. Believe me when I say this, I know where you are comming from and you are going to be that way the rest of your life and never be content with retirement. This is what you got to look forward to. I tried retirement three times and it is the only thing that I failed at. I am one of the few people that can make a big job out of doing nothing and need help doing it.
Go to Top of Page

Lon Sterling

68 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2002 :  12:09:43  Show Profile
Hey again Newt,

There are those who consider their penchant for perfectionism a "curse" and others who think of it as a "blessing". Sometimes, I think it pulls at me from both directions. Know what, though? There are people who genuinely need and are appreciative of our being driven to go the extra mile for them. Thanks for all the great information. I will buy one before the sun sets.

Lon
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2002 :  22:08:58  Show Profile
Lon, several of us have inverters (more than one) and lighter plugs hard wired into our vehicles. Once this is done any printer can be vehicle based. At times I use a Minolta color laser. Usually I use a Canon S520 because they are cheap, one in the truck one in the house, use a print head seperate from the ink tanks and use 4 ink tanks that can be drilled and tapped for a knurled head 6 32 nylon screw that allows using bulk ink.
Go to Top of Page

Lon Sterling

68 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2002 :  22:26:54  Show Profile
Chuck,

Quick, tell me more about the bulk ink. I've heard about that and know there are supposed to be some pros and cons on them all the way to ruining printers. I just bought the HP Newt told me about this afternoon on the way home but if there's a better way, it's still in the box.

Thanks,

Lon

Lon
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2002 :  13:27:18  Show Profile
The bulk ink worked great for me on hp722 and i still have a lot of it left. This 950 has the ink tanks also but the carts are cheap so I don't mess with refilling them any more. Twenty bucks for a cart is not that bad if it is the large one. If you do not need the scanner,media card slots or the fax then I would go with what works for Chuck. I just like the idea of the stand alone picture printing ,taking the card out of the camera and plugging direct into the printer and wala you can also send it to the computer at the same time. I love them gadgets.
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2002 :  09:22:27  Show Profile
Lon, In case you get the hp and it has the older driver disk, go to hp web page and get yourself the drivers for the latest versions of windows or you can order the cd , its free. I just down loaded mine to cd
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  22:15:06  Show Profile
Lon, I use a multiple tank printer, a Canon S520, and I drilled and tapped a hole in the top of each tank. Then I put a 6-32 nylon screw in the hole with a rubber washer to seal it. The ink comes from the net several vendors sell it in bulk. I have two of the printers one in the truck and one in the house. I travel so when I am coming back to Little Rock from Tulsa I print all my photos and estimates. As I noted I have an inverter hard wired to the truck.

I use PhotoAdjuster because it provides a professional product.
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  08:06:34  Show Profile
Chuck, I am probably going to need the photo adjuster for the sake of simplicity. I have the Adobe Photo shop,its expensive and has more whistles and bells than I need on this job. I have had it about four years now. I have heard others say the photo adjuster only way to go. I can still use the photo shop on my office computer for cleaning up, cropping and personal stuff.
I now have three items on my list, loggers tape, disto meter, and the photo adjuster. If every one is like me every time a new toy comes on the market that relates to my job, I just got to have it. Sometimes its overkill and other times its junk.
Go to Top of Page

visitcostarica

Costa Rica
15 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  18:51:21  Show Profile
I learn pretty slowly, but I finally got it! Buy canon or hp printers. They can stand the abuse of moving in and out of the vehicle. I have had others like lexmark, and they just don't stand up. Then there is all the driver issues. If you buy a separate plain paper fax, try to find one that uses the same cartridge as your printer. HP carts now have a chip which is time dated which can effect refilling them.

See ya on Bourbon St

Done climbing roofs...try climbing into a hammock in Costa Rica http://www.visitcostarica.net
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  19:44:31  Show Profile
Found out I had all color carts. for my HP and I refilled it so far so good. I got to order several , you can get new ones on ebay pretty cheap. I had been using this one for a log time and it is the small one you get with the machine. What killed it was all the copies I made of my lic. certs.etc. 10 copies each...... Oh no not Bourbon ST, how about over around Houma or New Iberia oh well take what you get.
Go to Top of Page

cordner69

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  16:44:53  Show Profile
The one I use is the Canon I560. Its about $129 and I get ink cartridges for $3/ea. It uses individual colors and you don't have to throw the entire cartridge away if one color runs out. I have one in the room and one in the car. Black is 22ppm and color is around 14-16. If I fly I put in the bottom of this box because it folds up and is ready to roll. e-mail if you would like a picture of the setup.
Go to Top of Page

cordner69

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2003 :  16:49:28  Show Profile
here is the pic if you would like more details let me know.

Image Insert:

21.89 KB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000