Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ShermaninCO

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  12:28:35  Show Profile
I have not yet used the 802.11?, I was hoping in this area some that are could share their equipment experiences and choices. Also list areas where they typically find service or specific locations. The question mark above in the 802.11 refers to the different types, I know most are probably using 802.11b was wondering if anyone has tried out the 802.11g yet?

Bill Sherman

Edited by - ShermaninCO on 03/09/2003 14:28:51

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  14:57:02  Show Profile
Haven't ever heard of 802.11g. I have heard good things about 802.11a. but haven't tried it yet.
Go to Top of Page

kmegeff

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  08:59:07  Show Profile
I missed the convention, had to work. What was the wireless demonstration about?

Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  11:04:50  Show Profile
Wireless Demo was the use of a Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card, with a laptop, and a cabled Omni-directional magnetic mounted roof top antenna.

The use of a searching softwear program, to locate a WAP (Wireless access point), in fact, when we turned it on in the hotel, we were on line immediately with a WAP somewhere within the range of the antenna.

WAP loations are available to WI-FI (a/k/a/ 802.11b)from a distance of about 300 LF without use of an antenna.

The Db gain of the antenna, the cable length and other mitigating circumstances can increase or decrease your reception. It is possible , with the use of an amplifier to get considerably more distance.

The Demo was to show that with an investment in the required equipment, one may have the ability to transfer files, get email, and efaxes, and any other web based information , directly to their vechile from almost any location, sans the use of a telephone line or other connecting points.

The newer 802.11g, standards have not been agreed to, and may not be until late summer of 2003.

In addition there has been some difficulty in the backward compatibility to 802.11b, which is slower but far more stable.

802.11g is NOT compatible with the higher speed 802.11a.

Only time will reveal which system will prevail. At this time the consencus of opinion is that the use of 802.11b is the way to go.

Go to Top of Page

Russ

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  07:28:43  Show Profile
For all interested parties, this system is the one being raffled off on this site. It includes,PC Card,Antenna,and Amplifier.Lets you connect up to one mile away with no wired or cellphone connection. Check the home page for details. We will also be raffling off a Mavica Camera that uses 3"cdr's.
Go to Top of Page

AllCatMan

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  22:59:31  Show Profile
Anyone using the 802.11a, b, or g ?????
how well does it work? What kind of range and/or coverage do you have? Is it worth the expense?
I like maost other adjusters like these new "toys" but want to know the practicality of this system for us on the road. Please if you know anything about these systems let us know.

Go to Top of Page

questor

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  08:15:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AllCatMan

Anyone using the 802.11a, b, or g ?????
how well does it work? What kind of range and/or coverage do you have? Is it worth the expense?
I like maost other adjusters like these new "toys" but want to know the practicality of this system for us on the road. Please if you know anything about these systems let us know.

It really all depends on the hotel you are staying at. If it's providing a wireless broadband connection, then 802.11g is the way to go. Even if they are only providing 802.11b you can still possibly connect. Unless you happen to be in one of the few cities in the country that has a Company that has a city wide wireless ISP.
Right now the number of Hotels providing wireless connections are still few, but growing steadily.

Greg Grindstaff
http://www.darkrose.net
Go to Top of Page

clydev

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  11:44:24  Show Profile
Our company used the wireless in rural Kansas this summer. You can also get a connection at almost any Starbucks, RV Park and Flying J Truckstops

Clyde Veltmann
Hill Country Claims Managment, LLC
www.hillcountryclaims.com
Go to Top of Page

jtrea

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  19:21:22  Show Profile
I've searched bestbuy.com but I cannot find such a card with antenna and amplifier. Where can this setup be purchased?
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  20:53:49  Show Profile
Try http://www.hyperlinktech.com for openers.

Speak to AL Sousa, and explain what you want.

The antenna you want should be an 8 db gain Magnetic mount with a 12' lead and an end to hook to the amplifier.

The Amp comes with a 18" pigtail to connect to the Orinico Gold card.

All is available at this location, Cost should be less than $900.00

Edited by - katadj on 11/04/2003 20:55:28
Go to Top of Page

ruckover

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  16:39:52  Show Profile
Saw this subject and wanted to give my info as I am using a Sprint pcs vision enabled connection card. Sprint sets up a separate line for you and this thing slides into the data card or CF card slot and has it's own antenna, as long as you are in the sprint pcs area, you can work as if you are sitting in your office. It is the only thing I use right now even when I am in my office. It is made by Air prime model PC3200 and is sold at Best Buy. As long as you are working as an independent and claiming your expenses, Sprint can set you up on a business account and it is 80 month with unlimited transfers. Speed ranges from 70kb-144kb, as long as you are not downloading stuff with this it is awesome. Definitely faster than dial up.
Go to Top of Page

Wally

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  17:46:39  Show Profile
I was staying at the La Quinta hotel on Newtown road in VA Beach. All they had was dial up. Several times I was either not able to get online or the connection was too slow. So I drove over to the CompUSA on 58 near Military Hwy, sat infront of their door in the parking lot and down loaded my e-mail using the wireless. Also as I was driving through neighborhoods, I would come across a wireless connection. I would download my e-mail then also. I use e-fax for my fax number so it is sent to me 24-7 via e-mail. Just a mannor of finding an access point. I was also using the DeLorme with the GPS on my HP Pavilion ze5300. This has built in wireless. On my wife's machine we just have a pci card without antenna. That way we can network without cables in the hotel room.

Everybody should get on the wireless bandwagon and with the GPS. Saves a lot of time.
Go to Top of Page

Wally

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2003 :  18:47:47  Show Profile
By the way, here is some sites that provide info on the locations of wi-fi access points. If anyone has any more sites, let us know.

http://wififreespot.com/
http://freehotspots.com/
http://intel.jiwire.com/
http://www.ezgoal.com/hotspots/wireless/
http://www.boingo.com/search.html

Good hunting
Wally
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2003 :  21:20:08  Show Profile
Get yourself a program called net stumbler. It's free and you can download it on the internet. It will interface with a gps receiver and as you drive around it will log all the WAPs you drive by and mark their location. It's pretty neat.
Go to Top of Page

AllCatMan

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  01:28:17  Show Profile
Verizon has an air card. Saw one in Hampton roads...connected at over 700kbs... the plan is $200 for card and $80 a month for unlimited...cheaper rates available. Trying to find out more about coverage. The map looks alright but want to find out more. Anyone used them and how do they work nation wide??
Anything that makes us faster will make us more $$$$. If anyone has used one please let us know how you liked it???

Join in the Chat Room nightly 7cst/8est.

Edited by - Tom Toll on 11/20/2003 06:01:26
Go to Top of Page

clydev

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  13:20:15  Show Profile
If any of you are interested in buying the wireless internet cards from us Please let us know so we can order them and have them here for the conference.

We will have these on sale Pre-Paid for just $50.00 plus tax. You can pick them up here at the conference when you get here.

We will also have a discounted wireless internet subscription rate JUST for adjusters.

Toll Free 866-311-4455

Clyde Veltmann
Hill Country Claims Managment, LLC
www.hillcountryclaims.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000