Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:45:45  Show Profile
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 2:05 pm: By Darryl Martin

I was sorry to hear about Bill Hill's fall. Just a reminder that I still have a ladder safety self study course available for those interested. It is by no means a discertation on the subject but it is a good refresher and if you're not careful you might even learn something new.

E-mail me at DarrylM@worleyco.com and I'll send it to you in a reply.

Think safety.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:47:52  Show Profile
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 4:52 am: By Jim Blanchard

I have been in roofing for over 30 years. In every aspect of the job, preparation is everything and good preparation is usually a pain in the butt. Its all the little things you have to do before you do the job that get at you. That includes setting ladders and staging. Setting a ladder on a sloped roof without a cleat is just plain foolish no mater how many people are on the job. 20 minutes of preparation vs. months of rehabilitation (if you are fortunate)is little enough investment of time for someone who depends on his or her mobility to make a living.

All you really need is a good stick of wood aboout 30" long x 1" thick, some 2 1/2 - 3" deck screws, some 5" x 7" aluminum step flashing, a tube of asphalt cement and a caulking gun, a flat bar and a battery operated drill with a phillips head bit. All stuff that will fit and store well in the trunk of your car.

Set your ladder on the slope. Place the cleat (stick of wood)at the foot of the ladder and secure it through the shingles and wood deck with 3 screws spaced across the length. When the job is done take down the ladder;remove the cleat; use the flat bar to break the seals on the shingle tabs with the screw holes in them; lift the tabs and gun some asphalt cement over the holes; place a piece of step flashing over the cement so that it doesn't show from under the shingle tab; gun more asphalt sement on top of the step flashing and press the shingle tab down into the cement. The repair reliable and virtually invisible and you should survive to fight another day.

You can also look a website I just discovered: www.provisiontools.com. There are some interesting ladder accessories there. I have never tried any of them so I'm not endorsing them, but they are interesting none the less. Also if you are climbing just to measure a slope take a look at my website www.tapedolly.com.

Work smart! Work Safe!
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:48:30  Show Profile
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 2:49 pm: By Roy

I was informed yesterday of an adjuster on assignment that fell from a roof. She received injuries from the fall but is doing better today.

I was wondering as a community are we doing as much as possible to reduce the injuries in our industry. If not are there any thoughts on what we may do via CADO to reduce the injuries.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:49:18  Show Profile
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2001 - 11:16 pm: Don Politte

The person who fell was Linda Hardy, she fell from a roof in St. Louis and, she has the following fractures, skull, neck, femur, shatered knee and several to the face. Her spirits are high and is hoping to get to go home to Texas this weekend.
I spoke to her daughter this morning and she says that the neck fracture will be placed in a neck brace and she should be ok in a while. The knee is the worst of the injuries and will take the longest to heal. Linda has already started therapy and is doing pretty good, considering.
Take care, when on the roof and especially while getting onto the ladder to get down, from what I understand this is when she fell. This is also when I fell earlier this year, also in St. Louis, however my injury was slight compared to Linda's, only a broken leg. So be carefull out there and don't get in a hurry, you'll only get yourself hurt.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:50:01  Show Profile
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 9:07 am: By Jim Lakes

We at RAC Adjustments,wish Linda the best of our prayers and thoughts for a speedy recovery. We hope that she will recover to her normal health.

We do not know Linda, however we have all adjusters in our thoughts as we travel across this great land and preform our risky jobs. Please be careful out there, all the claims in the world are not worth one adjusters life.

Best Wishes and May God Bless You, Linda.

Jim Lakes RPA
NationalCatastrophe Center
RAC Adjustments, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:50:56  Show Profile
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 - 3:17 pm: Darryl Martin

I hate to see this topic come up again because it means somebody got hurt. Here is some information we use along with our ladder self study guide.

Ladder Tips

Before you use any ladder inspect it. Look for the following defects:
1. Loose or missing rungs or cleats
2. Loose nails, bolts or screws
3. Cracked, broken, split, dented or badly worn rungs, cleats or side rails
4. Wood splinters.
5. Corrosion of metal ladders or metal parts.

If you find a ladder in poor condition, DON'T USE IT. It should be removed from service immediately, repaired or replaced.

Using Ladders

Choose the right type and size ladder.

1. Be sure straight ladders are long enough so that the side rails extend above the top support by at least 36"
2. Don't set up ladders in areas such as doorways or walkways where others may run into them, unless they are protected by barriers. Keep the area around the top and base of the ladder clear. Don't run hoses, extension cords or ropes on a ladder and create an obstruction.
3. Don't try and increase the height of a ladder by standing it on boxes, barrels or other materials. Don't try and splice two ladders together.
4. Set the ladder on solid footing against a solid support. Don't try and use a stepladder as a straight ladder.
5. Place the base of straight ladders out away from the wall or edge of the upper level, about one foot for every four feet of vertical height. Don't use ladders as a platform, runway or scaffold.
6. Tie in, block or otherwise secure the top of straight ladders to prevent them from being displaced.
7. To avoid slipping on a ladder, check your shoes for oil, grease or mud and wipe it off before climbing.
8. Always face the ladder and hold on with both hands when climbing up or down. Don't try to carry tools or materials in your hands.
9. Don't lean out to the side when you're on a ladder. If something is out of reach, get down and move the ladder.
10. Most ladders are designed to hold only one person at a time. Two may cause the ladder to fail or throw it off balance.

Take good care of good ladders and they'll take good care of you. Store them in well ventilated areas, away from dampness.

The above tips come from a "Tool Box Talks" pamphlet. I hope they help. As before a copy of our ladder self study program is available for anyone that wants it. e-mail me and I'll forward it. DarrylM@worleyco.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:51:45  Show Profile
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 1:05 am: By TomS

I would like to express a "thank you" to Jim and Darryl, so far the only two vendors to say a word of condolences. I look for others as they become aware. I further think that just to take the time to post a concern, information or anything else concerning a fallen brother should enlighten all of us to the types of people these guys are and "more" than likely "care" for "us" Cat adjusters while on the road working for them or someone else.
Thanks guys, it makes a lot of feel that someone out there cares.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:52:21  Show Profile
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 2:20 pm: By Jim Lakes

Tom,

Thanks, but no thanks was needed. We are all in this game together. I just hope and pray that Linda recovers to her normal life.

I said what I meant, and I mean what I say.

Thanks,
Jim Lakes RPA
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:53:02  Show Profile
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 5:36 pm: Tom Toll

It should go without saying that your head has got to be in what you are doing, when it comes to climbing roofs. If you are in doubt, do not do it. I have been climbing for 40 years this Jan. 7 and consider it the most dangerous of all assignments. I do not think of anything except proper set up, proper climb up and certainly proper procedure on getting down from the roof. Getting off or down from the roof slopes is by far the most dangerous. It can be the descent of death if you are not careful. Remember, you are not skydiving with a chute, you are climbing a roof and that sudden stop, if you fall, is hard on the body.

Make sure the ladder is not near anything electrical and that the foot of the ladder is stabile and solid. The ladder top should extend at least 18 to 24 inches above the ladder contact point of the roof. Always respect your ladder and keep it in clean and good condition.

In forty years I have fallen once and that was on a roof that I questioned. I should not have gotten on a moss covered, wet wood shingled roof. I received minor bruises when I fell into a big bush. I was very lucky. It taught me, real quick, to not climb if in doubt. Always watch where you are putting your feet. There could be something slick on the roof. Never step on leaves, pine needles or debris. If the shingles are old, the granulation is loose and could become marbles under you feet. Hot roofs (composition) have granules that are loose, due to the heat. Always try to find gum rubber soles for your climbing shoes or check into cougar paws.

I regret that Linda and others have fallen and am in hopes that all may return to a normal life and continue with their adjusting losses.

Go to Top of Page

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  15:48:54  Show Profile
I fell off a roof in Little Rock, Arkansas in March 2001. I broke my left wrist since I decided to use it to catch my fall. My laddre was set up on a wood deck that was dry, but for some freak reason, the feet of my Little Giant didn't like it, so as I stepped onto the roof it gave. The ladder slid right out from under me and I went down with it. Fortunately, that was the only damage, but I have not put my ladder on a wood anything since then, unless I have someone holding it.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Lon Sterling

68 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  01:32:29  Show Profile
While the company I work for has ladders of every description for roofing projects, I prefer a single story one fold 12 foot aluminum with a wide base cross member for residential single story "roof thumping".

I have customized my ladder in the following ways to augment safety:

1. The fronts of the legs have solid adhered inner tube rubber for approximately 24 inches down the upper section where it contacts the edge of the roof mainly for protecting gutter edges and to decrease the possibility of slippage.

2.The joints and pins are lubricated with Pledge furniture polish on a regular basis to keep the locking mechanisms from failing to snap into place. Works much better than WD40 and collects less dirt buidup.

3. Two small (3/16" inch) holes are drilled into the ladder legs at points near where the legs' front edges would contact a gutter. Eye bolts with eyes pointed to the outside edges of the legs are placed through the holes (if you can find Grade 5 hardness, they are stronger.) They are secured with a lock nut and flat washer and the protruding thread on the bolt is sawed off with a hack saw and filed so as not to catch pants or clothes. [b]It is important either to use the lock nuts or a locking thread sealant so that you won't be tempted to over-tighten the bolts and collapse or wrinkle the hollow aluminum legs, compromising there strength. Rolled 3 foot lengths of strong nylon woven rope are kept in a back pocket for tying the legs to gutters or gutter supports, spikes or ferrules for added stabilty and then attaching to the eye bolts.

4. When taking the first step onto a roof and when descending a slope, THINK OLD and SLOW. I warn new estimators who are proud to show off their youthful agility that I have always stepped onto a roof and off of it like a 90 year old woman.

5. When ascending and descending a roof, try to diagram the roof from directly above your tied off ladder. The ladder is even safer when placed in the corner at a valley since valleys decrease the angle of descent if you fall and it also funnels you toward the corner and the ladder. A tied off ladder might stop a sliding person if he descends or ascends directly over the ladder's position.

6. Be sure to have the angle of the ladder properly set to match the angle of the "L" shaped icon on the side of each leg.

7. Be sure to set the ladder where there is ample room for the toe of your shoe or boot to fit comfortably between the top rung below the roof's edge and the edge of the roof. I can't tell you how many people crowd that area and wind up turning their foot sideways to rest it on a rung that is placed too close to the roof's edge.

8. Don't climb a damp wood roof and carry a rag to dry your shoes and ladder rungs while dew is still present or sprinklers have been running. Look out for moss on a humid day without precipitation when inspecting shingles or shakes. The moss will absorb much of the himidity and be slick even though shingles around it seem dry.

9. If a roof SPOOKS you going UP, it will TERRIFY you going DOWN. Just don't do what makes you nervous or apprehensive.

10. When all else fails, strap a mattress to the car or pickup and put it in the flower bed and have a good ole time - just stay above the mattress.

Have fun and be safe. Remember binoculars, telephoto lenses, spotting scopes, next door roofs with binoculars, decks, storage buildings with binoculars, tape dollies, large, suitably anchored, step ladders in the bed of your truck in the driveway can give you a view looking down at damage. There are a number of other things can make roof investigation safer.

Lon
Go to Top of Page

Fpbcal

5 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  17:11:03  Show Profile
While reviewing the CADO front page today I noticed the "Ladder Safety Tips" heading. When I saw it I thought it was placed there just for me. When I read all the responses I realized I am not the only one with a story.

A couple of years ago, while working in Tulsa, OK, I was about to inspect an old wood shake roof, maybe a 3/12 pitch, one story ranch. No problem. Because of the heavy foliage and locked fence to the rear yard, I set up my extension ladder on the concrete drive. The yard was filled with large trees that did not allow much sunlight. My first step off the ladder and I found the wood shakes were slick and went down on my stomach. My legs were flailing and almost knocked down my ladder but after resting and moving slowly I was able to get down without injury and turn that file over to a rope and harness team.

Think I would have learned. While working in Aledo, IL earlier this month I was inspecting a one story cape cod with a comp roof. The area I was on was a 3/12. The only place to set my ladder was on the front sidewalk at the porch. The rear area was 7/12. I set my ladder on the concrete and jumped up and down on the first rung while shaking the ladder. It stayed in place and I climbed to the roof, did my inspection and started my decent. As one of the previous posters said, I approached the ladder like an old man, being very cautious but not enough. As soon as I stepped on the top rung at the eave line the ladder kicked out and I fell 8-10 feet, landing on the concrete walk and partially hitting a 6" high raised planter with my back. Fortunately Mrs. Insured heard the noise and called 911. After several hours of picture taking in the hospital I was released. After laying around for a couple of days I was able to drive home to CA and am now in rehab for sprains to my lower back, knee and am seeing my dentist about my broken teeth. Fortunately I am on work comp and nothing is broken. A fall like that can not only cause physical damage but also nurological damage. I also suffered from dizziness and memory loss. If I would have tied off my ladder I would not be sitting home missing one of the best springs in a long time. I hope to get back in the field ASAP but am not going to rush it either.

I found out after my fall about a few other fellow adjusters that have fallen and have not been reported here on CADO. I would say there are a lot more falls that we hear about. One of our guys fell off a roof in Tulsa after I had left a couple of years ago and has not worked since.

Hope my tales will remind some body else to work safe and smart and re-read this thread for safety tips. Be careful out there.

Frank Bretz
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  07:44:08  Show Profile
2 minutes for safety
Go to Top of Page

yumadj

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  13:56:07  Show Profile
Watch out for wood decks, though they make the climb shorter, they are slippery and ended up hanging from a gutter once as a result, after bunging up my leg. I try and avoid them now. I am considering a helmet for bad lookin' roofs, seems like a wise move, could save your life. If I can take photos on a high cut up roof from a balcony, I will do it. Only have one neck and it's not replaceable. Watch your khaki legs. Some vendors do not want you to wear levi's--but a tight pant leg is not going to catch on the top rail when swinging onto a slope. I don't like a lot of rail above the roof edge as a result. Safe climbing everyone. Pretend you are ascending K2!!

Jeff Finley
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  14:45:45  Show Profile
Remember, 2 minutes for safety, think about what you are doing
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000