Pledge a fraternity???

!WHACK!

THANK YOU, SIR! MAY I HAVE ANOTHER?
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  13:19:12  Show Profile
Ghostbuster, here let us show you the lovely scenery behind this (side) door. You give new meaning to the term blackball.

By the way, wasn't that your fraternity in Animal House? Wasn't Belushi playing your role?

Edited by - JimF on 03/04/2004 13:28:28
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  15:24:53  Show Profile
WOW! You is so right! There IS lovely scenery behind the green door! Oooh! Lookee at what that lovely is doing over there! Jim, you make a right good door usher. Clayton and Kile will tip you handsomely for letting me in.
Go to Top of Page

goose

57 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  15:44:23  Show Profile
I can see Clayton in Dean Wormer's role. Oops, I may get the double secret for that one.

Edited by - goose on 03/04/2004 15:53:50
Go to Top of Page

Catmannn

42 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  15:50:34  Show Profile
When I read a post and it is signed on the left column or on the bottom, it brings more credibility to the post.
The unknown post I still enjoy reading and wish they would not be removed.

My name is Houtz
and I am NOT running for President.
Go to Top of Page

Judi8703

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  22:41:36  Show Profile
I've not written here before, I'm a first timer, so please don't everybody jump all over me.

There's a lot I'd like to say at times, yet I am aware that people who have the power over me to grant me work or not, are reading this site. Therefore, regardless of many here feeling that one should just bear all, they don't pay my bills, I do!

I have read a lot of many good things on this site, I'm not certain that many of the good things I've read would have been printed if the author had signed his/her own name to it.

Mr. CCarr has written many of fine and in depth articles for which I am very greatfull to fall benefit to his insight, however, he does freely admit he's not seeking future work, as such, his opinion as to "show all", with all due respect, falls suspect as he doesn't have to pay the price for being "found" out by those reading without our knowledge.

I think things are just fine the way they are. Those of us who have been around for some time don't need to know who is writing the garbage, because.....hey it's just garbage, we know better and so what, just disregard it for what it is, and most importantly, don't reply to it and it will go away!!!!! If you keep answering it, you're just feeding it, which is just what they want, duh!
Go to Top of Page

gloverb

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  23:19:43  Show Profile
If you were to be an invisible person; no one can see you; no one knows who you are. What would you say; what would you do?

I suspect that the "invisible" people are people that we know. They also post "invisible" so they can chastise us without repercussion. Think about it! If you knew nobody was watching, if you knew nobody could hear you, what would you say? What would you do?

I wouldn't trust them with my daughter.

Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

Judi8703

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  23:35:04  Show Profile
I'm a bit confused here. Please explain how one can be both a contractor and adjuster for 5 years.

"5 years as an adjuster & contractor working with carriers as an approved contractor for HO losses." This as taken from your profile as sited here on CADO.

I'm sure you're a very competant person, and I mean no dis-respect, however you didn't even come close to addressing my post. This further lends to my thought that while we don't care weather you trust us with your daughter or not, you don't know who is reading this that may have carrer decision capabilities over you. While it may not directly effect you, it may effect many others herein and as such the freedom of speech should outweigh the need for you to know who is speaking!

Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  07:41:06  Show Profile
Well Judith, I am glad that some subject tweaked you to express an opinion; and I thank you for your kind words of encouragement found in your 1st post.

I see two very contrasting themes rising up out of this thread, and your 1st post is as good of an example of that as any.

The pressure being brought to bear on you and others, to not openly post, or to not be liberal with your notion of free speech and to be identified with those thoughts, is in the crux of your statement; ".... I am aware that people who have the power over me to grant me work or not, are reading this site ....". That to me is a very chilling statement. For those who suppress their thoughts or identity in any way related to that statement, I really and truly have empathy for. It is so wrong for that pressure to exist or to believe that it exists, in this website.

The contrasting theme to this pressure to suppress identity and/or the content of one's opinion, is whatever "free speech" may mean to anyone. It is not my intent to debate that, but how free is your speech, if you have to mask your identity before speaking and/or be selective in how you say something?

I have to go back to my 3/3 post and Roy's reply that date of 11.39, noting that he said he will comment on some of the other statements. I await those additional thoughts Roy, and as well ask you to consider Judith's comment that seems to echo a common theme as to why people mask their identity and/or suppress their opinions; "....I am aware that people who have the power over me to grant me work or not, are reading this site ....".

It doesn't seem hard to figure a solution to that, that would eliminate the need for anonymity and/or the suppression of thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  11:44:20  Show Profile
Clayton, Ms Judi8703 is correct. There are evil forces out there in vendor and carrier land that seek to irradicate our free speech. We are perceived as a threat to their empires. As I see it, there are at least two options if some honcho retaliates against a post made here: A) We can shoot them, or, B) We can use our nom-de-plumes.

I favor the system we have now because the vermin honchos out there are not worth the time and effort to clean my '03 Springfield and not worth the cost of a single 30.06 bullet!

Yes, I know this offends your Canadian sensebilities and, yes, I have displayed the more vulgar side of my Texas-ness, but really, free speech on this side of the border is an issue we consider worth fighting over.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  11:58:41  Show Profile
But it is not free, if you have to hide behind the fence post out of view, as you give your speech.

If, whoever the "vermin honchoes out there are" were not allowed to constantly stand on the rail and gaze at the cattle; there would be no need to mask one's self.
Go to Top of Page

gloverb

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  17:26:27  Show Profile
Judith,
I appreciate your comments, but my post was not intended to address your post. It was just an opinion of the "anonymous poster".

I suspect that several of the anonymous also post under their real name. As long as they post anonymously as a means to not get noticed by the people they work for, I don't have a problem with it. It just seems at time that some of the posts from them have more "barbs". It is easier to do this if no one knows who you are. That is all that I was trying to say with my post.

In regards to your comment about me being a contractor & an adjuster for five years. I guess I am confused about what you are asking here. Are you asking how I can do both, or are you thinking that there is a conflict of interest between the 2?

I will answer both. Obviously I am not a staff adjuster. I am a cat adjuster. Between assignments I do contracting work. My contracting business continues to run while I am gone. I have capable people that take care of it when I am out. My wife runs the office; so, I always have someone I can count on.

My company is an approved contractor for various carriers. Most of these that I work with require that I maintain a current adjusters license. Not for me to adjust the claim, I basically scope the loss & provide them with a repair estimate. I rarely am involved with coverage issues. In fact, I usually do not even know which HO policy the homeowner has. Obviously, just having an adjusters license doesn't make you an adjuster.

What the carriers want is someone that does more than just write an estimate. If we notice items such as maintenance problems, or an attack dog in the back yard, or swimming pool, we can relay this information back to the staff adjuster. A licensed adjuster may be more apt to notice these types of things.

Regarding being aconflict of interest, I get asked this question over & over by adjusters as well as homeowners, & frankly I don't understand why it is perceived as a problem. Why is an adjuster that also does the repair work any more of a conflict of interest than an adjuster that is being paid by the carrier that is paying for the loss.

The carriers must have a good system of checks & balances to work, but the bad adjuster/contractors are found out pretty quickly. I think this is accurate for the independent adjusters as well. For the most part pay is based on how large an estimate that he writes. The "bad" ones are found out pretty quickly here as well.

I hope this answers some of your questions. In any event, my post was not directed toward your post.
Go to Top of Page

gloverb

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  19:12:33  Show Profile
RVW,
I can certainly see how this could be a problem, but remember, I am really not "adjusting" the claim. I am only writing the repair estimate. If the program is properly controlled I don't see a major problem.

We are approved contractors for State Farm through their Premier Service Program which has proven, at least for us, to be a very good program. Our only requirement is that we agree to use their pricing . Pricing is probably a little better than Xactimate pricing, overall.

This is optional for the homeowner. The homeowner has to agree to this program before we are even contacted. It's good for the carrier because it is a way that they can control their prices. The homeowners like it because the average homeowner does not have a clue who to contact to get the work done. The carrier does background checks & requires the contractors to be licensed, insured, etc. All homeowners don't do this. It is just an option for them.

Carriers must have adequate controls in place or this could be a conflict of interest. I understand that Allstate had problems several years back because they had ownership in some of the body shops that they referred auto claims to.

The key for this program is in documentaion of the loss. Digital cameras are great for this. We take pictures of the damages & upload back to the carrier. If we need to supplement the estimate, we take pictures of that & again upload back to the carrier.

Plus, the carrier (staff adjuster) follows up with the homeowner thru phone calls & visual inspections. Approximately once every quarter we get a file review which covers quite a few items.

The bad contractors are found out pretty quickly on this program & do not last very long.

I think that so much of this has to do with the honesty & integrity of the people involved, contractor, carrier, & homeowner.

If run properly this type of program is good for all involved, but I certainly see the potential pitfalls.
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  20:30:29  Show Profile
And to take this even farther off topic->->->

When I get to be God, or, we once-apon-a-time get some legislative lobbying going, a law will be passed so that only, and I mean, ONLY real live field adjusters can have anything to do with the investigation, documentation, assessment, or settlement of ANY loss. It will be the Law of the Land that this kind of cozy-coo relationship will result in criminal charges being levied on the carrier CEO's.

That'll break 'em of sucking eggs!
Go to Top of Page

Catmannn

42 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  09:06:03  Show Profile
You all are making a snowman out of a snowball concerning the contractor/adjuster and gloverb's
"DRC" status.
Having owned a construction company that did only insurance repair jobs, I see no conflict at all, if gloverb did not adjust the claim. Having been a "DRC" with four different carriers in the past the last thing on my mine was to try to adjust the loss. My interest was to estimate and sign the job. Believe me the monies made on most of the insurance repair jobs is the only reason to be a contractor in
this business.
In my case, all the losses assigned to my company to estimate were pre-screened for any type of coverage issues.
It may be the next step, but as far as I know the "DRC" are used only on regular lines of business and not cat.
It is a comfort to know that the carrier that you are working a cat with does have a "DRC" as they are a tool one should know about and use as needed.
If you think that the reinspectors on cat are tough, then you do not have a clue on how many company eye balls look at the "DRC" scopes, pricing, and customer service.

Houtz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000