Hand rail liability
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2002 :  12:36:06  Show Profile
Does any one have any thing on the number of steps and the requirement of hand rails?
This is a liability thing, I do not know the number of steps before requiring hand rails or if hand rails must be on both sides.
I think the requirment is wide spread, for my own info I woukd like to know.

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2002 :  14:26:02  Show Profile
Newt, your stairs / handrail question is the concern of many premises liability claims. The exact answer you are looking for in found in "your" applicable building codes. That may be those adopted by your municipality, county or state. Normally such entites adopt by legislation the national building code of the country in question; and occasionally with minor variants. Building codes are normally available in the reference section of libraries, or the bylaws standards department of your muncipality or county. In part, this is the principal reason why building permits are required for construction or renovation, so as the plans can be reviewed for code compliance.

I'll give you the short version of our National Building Code, that Ontario has adopted, relative to stairs and handrails; I don't know, but I doubt there would be much variance in standards between here and your area. The following also contains some "life safety" issues.

Stair treads should be in good condition, with no defects or breaks and the surface should be nonslip. The treads should be uniform in width. The risers should be uniform in height and the nosing should extend one inch past the riser. The riser height should not exceed 9.5 inches and the tread width should not be less than 8.0 inches. The angle of the rise should not be less than 20 degrees nor greater than 50 degrees. The average angle should range between 30 degrees in 35 feet and 35 degrees in 16 feet, with tread widths and riser heights appropriate to the angle.

All landings should be clear of optical illusions or openings into limited space areas. There should be no distractions visible from the stairs, such as mirrors. The stairs should be clear of all obstructions and there must be adequate contrast between the floor and the stairs, such as carpet to linoleum.

There must be adequate lighting under all conditions and lighting positioned so that hazardous shadows and glare are eliminated. A minimum of 7.0 feet of clearance overhead should be provided.

The standard height for handrails is 30.0 to 34.0 inches vertically above the nosing of the tread. Rails are required on stairs with 3 or more risers in private premises and suggested on all stairs in public premises of one or more risers.

If the width of the stairs is less than 44.0 inches;

and both sides are enclosed - one handrail is required, on the right side, descending

and one side is open - a handrail is required on the open side

and both sides are open - two handrails are required, one on each side.

If the stairs rise to a mezzanine level, that mezzanine must have a rigid railing 42.0 to 44.0 inches in height. There should be midrails or the area firmly closed in to the railing height. If midrails are used, toeboards of at least 4.0 inches in height should be provided.

For any adjuster involved in the investigation of premises liability claims, you must study the construction area components relative to the accident site. This study should be done in a comparative analysis to what existed at the loss site at the time of the accident, to the applicable building codes - both at the time of the relevant construction and the date of loss.

Hope this helps a bit Newt.
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2002 :  16:11:01  Show Profile
I knew there were building codes to follow and most like you mention say the same thing. In parts of the country ,like here for instance there are no permits to buy, no building codes and I just wondered if there was a mention of it in the policy. Seems like I heard mention of over 4 steps there should be a hand rail. But I was not sure. It would be bad music if some one built a house like I did with no code and didn't know about the rails. I have rails but I noticed around here many homes don't have. Some of them have as many as 8 or 9 treads.
They don't sue here they just shoot.
Go to Top of Page

ALANJ

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2002 :  22:05:26  Show Profile
Newt:

Here in good ole Alabama we follow the Southern Building Code. Not this national Building Code stuff. The AL code is quite clear when it comes to this.
1) Make reasonable inspections
2) Warn of any hidden or known danagers
3) Must be warned or out on notice of danager, ( landlord. business, etc..) If someone elese spots danger in between reasonable inspections.

Newt: There was a recent decesion about a set of stairs here in our home state. The stairs where over 100 years old. The owner/landlord/operator won. They looked at the orgional plans that where on record. Way back to 1900 something.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000