Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Roof_Dr_Sr

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  09:58:15  Show Profile
A lot of insurance adjusters do not carry two story ladders. They don't mind doing the measuring if they can get on the roofs. I will provide you with my services of two story ladders at a rate of $75 per house for 1-4 per day and $65 per house for 5-10 oer day. Need 2 day notice and a set time & place.call 817-408-7780 ask for Jake

Roof Dr.Sr.

stephen paul

2 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  16:31:55  Show Profile
how many cities can you cover in a day[:D]
Go to Top of Page

dbeatham

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  21:23:36  Show Profile
I am not in the business, but would have to ask why would anyone pay those prices? When a few times they could buy the ladder? I must be missing something?

Luck to you.

Traveling man, good with compass and square needs training in Cat adjusting.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  21:41:21  Show Profile
Good observation 'D'.

But, this is just an example of misuse of the user agreement / posting guidelines, etc.

This is just a classified ad in a forum noted for "discussions related to getting started as a cat adjuster". If the advertiser got lucky and found some fish, it then provides him with the excellent opportunity for the upsell as a roofer.

Unfortunately, there are too many fee schedules that would not pay enough to the adjuster - or whatever the person was called - to cover the $75 for the per house rent of the ladder in question, if upon arriving on the roof no damage was found.
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  22:18:49  Show Profile
Not to mention that I was raised to see this type of arrangement as a HUGE conflict of interest. The Insured always sees this as a case of Collusion Deluxe when the adjuster and his contractor both roll up at the same time. The insured says, " Why am I being ganged up on? Will I get to use the contractors new motor home to go on vacation to Las Vegas like this adjuster is? I ain't going to accept anything until my lawyer looks this situation over."

Edited by - Ghostbuster on 03/03/2004 22:20:05
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  22:26:22  Show Profile
At those rates I could pay for my ladder rack and 2 story ladder in a day.
Go to Top of Page

danguyer

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  22:28:04  Show Profile
I guess we're in the wrong business!

Dan Guyer
Go to Top of Page

sflorig

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  17:39:33  Show Profile
My pet chimp will climb roofs for one bunch of bananas per house!
Call 1-800-ROOFMONKEY ask for Chim Chim or Bubbles[:D]

Edited by - sflorig on 03/04/2004 17:45:20
Go to Top of Page

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  22:13:53  Show Profile
Just to throw another perspective into thie mix...

As a staff adjuster there are certain limits to what types of roofs I am expected to climb. Onc the steepness guidelines are surpassed, I can hire a roofer to provide access to the roof. In some states, I can only use a company on our preferred list. In others, I can hire whomever I trust. I typically pay between $75-$125 per inspection depending on the market and roof.

My alternative roof process typically involves verifying scope from the ladder, via digital photos and collateral damage. I do my best to diagram and get as many measurements from the ground using a tape, the pythagoream theorem, and counting shingles.

A trusted guy with guts and a ladder can make good money. On a recent storm in Texas I would have assistance once a week, looking at 5-8 houses in that day. The roofer netted $375-600 a day, and got a 1099 (I think??) at the end of the year.

It isn't a perfect system, but I understand that on particularly hard to access roofs, an expense draft authority can be granted to an independent adjuster to do as I have described above.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Tom Toll

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  22:37:06  Show Profile
In other words, Mr roofer, you make $75.00 and the adjuster makes $50.00, if he is lucky. I just love capitalism. Isn't it grand.
Go to Top of Page

gloverb

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  23:04:23  Show Profile
As opposed to making nothing, I think $50.00 is pretty good. Remember, it is your choice whether you use him or not.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  06:52:25  Show Profile
Jennifer, I don't ever recall seeing a memo or hearing of a discussion from the prime vendor to Allstate, addressing any conditions under which an independent contractor adjuster could do as you suggested. It would be nice if I was wrong on that, but considering the "logistics" of that procedure within the parameters of 'expense money'; I can see it being a nightmare outside of the the fold of staff people.

Ben, your statement infers that it is okay for you as a claims person to make less than somebody that is renting you a ladder. That picture is so wrong, and whether it is this ladder thing we are referring to or other issues of that nature; claims people agreeing that a claims function is worth so little comparatively just adds ballast to our tarnished and sinking craft.

There are too many fee schedules right up to the $5000 gross loss price point, that would pay you about $102 to $136 (@ your 60%) for you to attend and ascend onto that 2 storey roof, to assess it for damage, photos, etc etc, then plus paperwork, etc etc.

To even consider utilizing the offered service at $75 a pop, leaving you with a $27 to $61 gross from which other operating expenses must be paid; is just bad business.

Just the principal of it revolts me and I would be more satisfied to not do that and make nothing by not doing that, than to consider my net income for my efforts compared to the fella that rented me the ladder.
Go to Top of Page

Janice Toll

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  08:36:28  Show Profile
Clayton, you are so right! I suppose we need to remember that Ben is an adjuster and contractor.

Janice R. Martin-Toll
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  09:02:25  Show Profile
Just work for Insurance Carriers that "trust" the adjuster of thier choice to make the "right" call. I have inspected roofs as "the adjuster"(staff & IA) since 1957 and have NEVER had a roof claim rejected by my principle.

Edited by - trader on 03/05/2004 09:03:56
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  09:05:23  Show Profile
What the hell has that got to do with anything related to this thread prior to your post or to the thread title?
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  10:21:25  Show Profile
I,M sorry it seemed to me it was about getting on 2 story roofs and getting your file paid.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000