Board Feet
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  23:24:53  Show Profile
How do you measure board feet? I have never had a reason to (MSB uses LF or SF on almost everything).

Please respond with simple instructions if possible... it is kind of late for me. [Sigh...]

Jennifer

stevendemars

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  23:54:09  Show Profile
Board feet simply means the following:

One board foot = a piece of wood 12" X 12" X 1"

What ever equals 144" cubic inches . . .

See this page below . . .

http://www.bowrivercraftwoods.com/boardfoot_calculator.htm

Steven DeMars
Go to Top of Page

goose

57 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  23:57:32  Show Profile
Or; 1 board foot = 144 sq. inches.
(Thickness x Width x Length) / 144 = Board Feet
a 2x4 3foot long would be 2 board feet
ex. (2X4X36)/ 144= 2
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  00:05:22  Show Profile
cubic inches, Goose

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

goose

57 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  00:10:51  Show Profile
LOL Oops, how embarrasing. My excuse is that it is late. Now ya'll know why I am in favor of anonymity on here. If my former employees saw this....
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  00:45:11  Show Profile
HaHa Goose: It is 8:38 in beautiful downtown Honolulu, if you were here you wouldn't have any excuses. Reminds me of those midnight estimates and reports we do. Only to wake up the next morning and throw them in the waste basked and do them over because of all the mistakes.Then we re-do them in 1/4 the time it took when we were tired.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:16:56  Show Profile
Five, there must be a story behind your question. Waiting with bated breath to hear the details. Please?
Go to Top of Page

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  14:22:57  Show Profile
Chuck.. wish I had a good story for you. But I don't really.

The other questions I posed last night was about cedar walls. Well, the contractor kept sending me estimates in feet (not square, linear, or board mentioned). He ignored the question to clarify what he meant for 3 faxes in a row. So I was trying to figure out what it was because if it was square or linear we were not on the same page.

I started to try and figure the board feet to see if we were close and gave up. I called the pa this morning and told him he had to clarify and I wasn't going to try and guess anymore.

Boring story I know, but now we all know what a board foot it. I guess this just isn't used very often is it?

jennifer
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  15:13:23  Show Profile
Board feet is a measure of rough lumber. I buy walnut to make gun stocks and I sometimes buy from a mill. When the mill cuts the rough lumber they cut it in 1/4" increments, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4 and it is referred to as four quarter or five quarter lumber. The finished lumber you buy at Home Depot, say a 2 x 6 is referred to as dimension lumber and is not actually 2" x 6".

When I buy walnut, either from the mill or broker, I can get it circle cut or band sawn in several different ways that reveal the grain in different ways, i.e. edge grain or quarter sawn, and I am billed by the board foot. The board foot measurement is basically a cubic measurement. then I take the rough lumber and resaw and/or mill it into a finished peice i.e. flooring or moulding or paneling.

It sounds like the cedar you need was milled from antique cedar barn wood and is probably eastern red cedar. For me to scource western red cedar, remove it from the barn, haul it, resaw it, plane it, sand it, grind the necessary molding cutters and mill the finished 3 1/2" would be expensive. Then it would have to shipped to the job site and installed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000