Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  18:20:08  Show Profile
Finally, today is the day, the 24th, the day we can switch cell phone carriers and take our prized number with us. Soooooo, off to Radio Shack I go, Nokia in hand, to meet with Mark and do the old switcheroo, deep sixing AT&T and embracing Altel. Mark knows I am coming and a has squirreled away the correct phones. We boot up the computer and realize that Alltel hasn't provided the correct password, we have a usermane, but no password. 25 phone calls later, message after message, we have the password. Glory we are finally going to get rid of AT&T no more paying for nights and weekends when we are out of the home area. We enter the password, but to our dismay the crush of like minded consumers has slammed the Altel system and the web site has crashed.

Sorrow in Mudville tonight.

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  18:53:19  Show Profile
Wait until January and the kinks have been worked out of the system. Don't be the Guinea pig.
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  19:07:15  Show Profile
I should have prepaid for 1500 min. @ Walmart in Williamston, NC. only $160.00 My first month was $650. and my 2nd was $1142. That Texas roam can mount up fast, turned off Texas until I crossed the Sabine. Next Time.....
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  19:48:38  Show Profile
WOW! What kind of plan do you have. I have Sprint and I've never paid more than $160 a month and that's with lots of talking.
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  21:01:52  Show Profile
Kile I was roaming in the Outer Banks for 8 weeks with a Houston cell phone. Was I ripped?
Go to Top of Page

Wes

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  21:24:24  Show Profile
I like Verizon Wireless, with their I believe its called "Americas Choice" plan any call placed from within a Verizon covered area is considered a local call with no roaming fees. So even if you purchased your cell phone plan in Texas as long as you place a call from the Verizon covered area in North Carolina its still local and falls within your regular plan minutes usage. Verizon currently has by far the largest coverage in the US of any of the other services. My current rate is $59.00 for 1300 anytime minutes and free nights and weekends. The consumer groups are saying hold off on new phone plans for the moment because they are about to get very competitive with this phone number switching thing they are working on which should mean some very good deals coming soon.

One negative I should add to my testimonial for Verizon is they are big on making you sign a contract, usualy 1-2 years.

Edited by - Wes on 11/24/2003 21:27:17
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  22:10:57  Show Profile
Trader, I wouldn't say you were ripped but the plan you have is not in the best interest of a cat adjuster. Do you have a national carrier with a nationwide plan? They cost more than the average plan on a month to month basis, but when a situation like yours comes up they really pay for themselves.

I'm with Sprint and by no means am I reccomending them, they have their shortfalls like everyone else, but I've worked all over the eastern half of the country and even in Texas and I haven't had too much trouble with service, except in the mountains of WV where there was no kind of service. It's time to shop around.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  22:38:56  Show Profile
Ray, I volunteered to help my buddy Mark at the local Radio Shack, so I was the Guinea pig and spent the day today changing two AT&T One Touch phones on seperate plans to two Altel phones on one plan. We started about 9 this morning and got finished about 9 tonight. Mark asked me to do it because I have plenty of time and don't need the phone at the moment.

All the calls between the two phones are free. The phones were free, I need a particular type of Nokia because of the Nokia cradle and bi-directional amp in the truck. They are CDMA phones. Night and weekend minutes are free and the National Freedom Plan provides Voice Mail, Caller ID, 3 way calling and call waiting.

I thought about Sprint, because of their cell internet connection but the phones they offer don't fit a car cradle with an external antenna so I could not use the amp.

When I have some time I am going to look for a car cradle that fits the Samsung phone and I will probably change to Sprint and buy the Internet option.
Go to Top of Page

deleted

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  22:41:34  Show Profile
trader, you must have a state or regional plan...if you're staying with AT&T go for the national plan, if you know you're going to be on the road most of the time...
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  09:30:23  Show Profile
The second part of this pain is changing numbers from the old phone to the new phone.

Also, Mark the RadioShack guy, says that the system used by AT&T is scheduled to be changed, upgraded?, soon and everyone using an AT&T cellphone will have to have a new phone. This is one of the several reasons I changed.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  10:24:26  Show Profile
Now I guess im just old fashioned,

Started a long time ago, went thru 4-5 carriers till Nextel came alive. Joined them in the first year, and have been well satisfied since then. 149.00 month, all calls free, long distance, push to talk all over the USA with any other Nextel user

And now if someone can beat that i can take this old number, what a life.......................
Go to Top of Page

deleted

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  12:49:10  Show Profile
Chuck, not true about AT&T...the new thing they have called mMode requires a new type of phone...the system is on a different type of frequency or something like that...it's kind of like sprint pcs...but you'll be able to use a digital phone for a long time to come...
Go to Top of Page

danmeler

25 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  22:23:46  Show Profile
I've been on ATT nationwide plan for years. Decent service in most areas. $90 per mo for 600 anytime, and Wkends/nights 1000 free minutes. The thing about ATT that aggravates me is the way they steal money from you with no rollover minutes and rounding off to the next minute each time....that can cost you plenty if you make lots of short calls. I'm hoping the new incentives to compete will force them to correct these dishonest practices(?) By the way IDT is the ONLY way to go for your long distance carrier on the land line. I've used them several years...NEVER ONE problem, 5 cents a minute, and they round off at the 1/10th of a minute. They're great.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  23:08:30  Show Profile
Dan, maybe it's time to upgrade your plan. I'm with Sprint and I get 2000 anytime minutes and free night and weekend minutes and free PCS to PCS calling and free long distance for $5 less a month than you pay. I've always thought that AT&T charges a premium for the name. They don't let you know when they have better plans available. They'll let you go on paying through the nose as long as you don't complain. That's the way all the companies operate, you really have to stay on top of them and re-evaluate every year or so.
Go to Top of Page

Amber

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  23:34:49  Show Profile
I'm on Verizon. My beef is the fact that every time a plan change is made it is considered to be a "new" (1 or 2 year) contract. If you're half way through your term & a much better deal comes along that you'd like to take advantage of... Wallah! You're starting a new time commitment all over again.

Additionally, I imagine the early termination penalty fee will be largely increased by all service providers in the very near future.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  23:50:20  Show Profile
That's the nature of subscription service businesses, Amber. Before I entered the wonderful world of insurance, I sold security systems. Burglar alarms. The company existed soley on recurring revenue just like cell phone companies do. That is why cell phone companies are perfectly happy to give away expensive phones in exchange for a financial commitment from you. I'm not defending them, but it is simply the business model much like Gillete's. They give you the handle and charge you like crazy for the blades.

The wireless business is a capitol intensive one. Towers must be built, maintained, upgraded and expansion is always necessary. Competition is fierce. Without guranteed income it would be impossible to invest in necessary infrastructure to be competitive. I hate those damned contracts too, but without them the service would be outrageously expensive or non existent.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000