Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

james westfall

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  17:37:01  Show Profile
I went to the Pacesetter Conference and was more than happy to pay for the information that was given to me. They put on a fun and informative conference. I am also going to Eberle's conference in Vegas for more knowledge and yes, to rub elbows. Also, I did not go to Worleys conference this year but am sure they charge for theirs. This is an investment in your business. You will go out and pay money for equipment, why not knowledge. With no work right now, use your time wisely.

JAMES K. WESTFALL
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  17:59:40  Show Profile
If you are getting CE credit for it I don't see a problem with paying to go. If I get a benefit out of it I don't mind paying to attend. I have missed the last 2 Worley Expos because I was working during both of them, for Worley. I have heard from others who attended and they say it was well worth their cut of one small claim to attend.
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  21:53:24  Show Profile
(Here we go with the inflammatory stuff!)

Ahhh, yes...but, Fair Dinkums, aren't you merely employees of a Temporary Employment agency? Why are you employees paying your employer to put on a show? Why are you employees paying your employer for training? Why are you employees paying your employer for their party?

Yes, you are an employee if you work for Eberls, or Worley, or Pilot or anyplace else where you have taxes withheld under anything other than a 1099.

So, once again, why are you employees paying your employer for anything? You employees seem to be forgetting this is a brave new world where the rules have changed.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  22:01:21  Show Profile
Technically we are statutory employees, a nebulous gray area between employee and independant contractor.
Go to Top of Page

glenn220

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  22:09:24  Show Profile
I attended the Eberl's conference last year and it contributed to an assignment. I went to a second conference with another company later in the year and it also resulted in an assignment. Then I had to choose between the two when Isabel came to visit. Both companies had quality programs and quality people and I felt it was a good investment in myself. I'll be doing it again this year and I hope to see some of you there!
Go to Top of Page

Roger

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  11:48:11  Show Profile
Kile,

Does it indicate that you are a statutory employee on the W-2? There is a check box specifically for this. To date, the IRS has not designated insurance adjusters as statutory employees. There is a ruling designating certain types of insurance agents. If you have time, research the definition of a statutory employee in the IRS regulations.

Obtaining the statutory employee designation from the IRS would be beneficial for some independent adjusters.

RWS
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  18:48:44  Show Profile
Roger,

I researched it and it is still a gray area. It says I believe under section 2 if you are given work product to complete at home and then directed to deliver it completed to the employer or another designated by the employer you are then a statutory employee. I think a claim could fit that definition.

Ghost, we are only employees while we are working. If we are not currently on asignment then we are not employees. We are just temporarily unemployed. Has anyone ever tried to file for unemployment benefits when not on asignment? Were you laughed out of the office or what?
Go to Top of Page

okclarryd

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  06:41:41  Show Profile
Regarding the unemployment issue:

Several of the adjusters I have worked with tell me that when they return home from a deployment/assignment, they file for unemployment within a day or two of their return. They always get it and terminate it when they are deployed or it runs out.

I've never done this but I just might. It's probably not a lot but it would be better than the zero coming in.

LARRY D HARDIN
Go to Top of Page

cat man do

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  15:52:42  Show Profile
HI KEN
I FILE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT AND HAVE NOT BEEN TURNED DOWN THE COMPANY I WORK FOR DOSE NOT FIGHT IT AND WHEN I AM SENT OUT I DONT APPLY FOR THE TIME THAT I AM OUT IN THE FIELD .... CAT MAN DO
Go to Top of Page

Steve H

Switzerland
30 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  13:57:53  Show Profile
We just got back from the Allcat conference. It was free, except for the CE day and the CEA class where they had to fly someone in from CA to teach. Free is good. I have gone to some I had to pay for, such as Eberls, but I like Quaka's idea about going to PLRB and getting some real education at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

Gerrad Brigham

2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  18:19:57  Show Profile
Although it is a bit late to comment on our behalf, I wanted to clear up a few misconceptions regarding our Annual Claims Conference and the registration fees that we charge. This is the 10th Annual Claims Conference that we have hosted, the first being in 1995 in Denver. Due to ongoing licensing and certification requirements mandated by carriers and state agencies, our goal was to minimize the expense that adjusters would incur by hosting an event that would allow them to acquire these credentials during one event. We have always tried to offer classes that would provide the most value to our adjusters along with the most CE credits that were possible. We have never required that our adjusters attend our conference, and it has never been a prerequisite to be deployed by our company. It is simply an opportunity to further your education and renew/obtain credentials that have are common to our industry.

Furthermore, we have never made a profit from any of our conferences in 10 years. I assure you it is quite the opposite, running into the tens of thousands every year. For instance, food and beverage in Las Vegas will be well over $200/attendee for the 4 days. When you add in meeting room rental, presenter fees, travel expenses for presenters and staff, organizational expenses, audio/visual, etc., we are well over the $325/person registration fee. It is absolutely ridiculous, but a good hotel will charge $600 each/day for LCD projectors, $700 each/day for Internet access points, $170 each/day for a screen, $200 each/day for microphone setups, … the list goes on and on. Multiply this by several rooms over 4 days, and the bill adds up pretty quickly! I will quote Linda from her previous post because it is absolutely true, “If the actual costs were charged, it would be much more than the conference fee charged, and your hand would tremble when you wrote the check.”

Our conference offers a combined 26 hours of continuing education credits in TX and OK, and from 4 to 16 hours of combined continuing educations credits in MS, NC, NH, GA, FL, and WY. ALL of our classes apply directly to the adjusters and their work in this industry, and I would challenge you to find a conference out there that offers more for the price. We work very hard on this event each year, and it is very rare that an attendee complains that they did not get their money’s worth (I can count them on one hand).

Bottom line is…If you would like to come, we would love to have you, and here is a link for more informationhttp://www.catadjuster.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=795…If you can’t make it, we will see you out on storm! It's as simple as that.

Respectfully,
Gerrad Brigham
Director of Catastrophe Operations
Eberl's Claim Service, Inc.

Edited by - Gerrad Brigham on 02/20/2004 18:22:06
Go to Top of Page

Johnd

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  19:05:34  Show Profile
Gerrad Brigham
I stand by my previous comment(s) on this thread. Maybe you could tell us what the 40% split that you take on each claim goes for now.... I assume you can do this without your hand trembling...

John Durham

John Durham
sui cuique fingunt fortunam
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  19:31:57  Show Profile
Here's an idea, if you don't want to pay the vendor their cut why don't you go out an procure your own claims to work. I have no problem with them taking their share. I would hate to have to do all the things that a vendor has to do. I'd rather spend my down time enjoying life.

If you don't want to pay to go to a claims conference then don't pay. Isn't this country great? You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Gerrad Brigham

2 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  11:55:41  Show Profile
Johnd-We do not take a 40% split. Our company is 65-35 for Temp Employees and 70-30 for Ind. Contractors. As to where that money goes...open your own company, and you will soon find out. The expenses and competition are much heavier than public perception would indicate.

Respectfully,
Gerrad Brigham
ECS

Edited by - Gerrad Brigham on 02/24/2004 12:23:56
Go to Top of Page

goose

57 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  13:30:42  Show Profile
Kile, your positive refreshing attitude is very much out of step with many on this site. A person's view of their surroundings is the only real thing that any of us have control over. Fortunately for us, those with a negative view limit their ability to be perceived as a positive asset to a potential employer and thus increases our value. To those of you who see this career as dying and the greedy vendors as the bad guys, I say thank you. Please keep that belief. I wish I had more time to attend some of the conferences. They are a great place to catch up with old friends, party hardy, and even learn a new thing or two. But I am usually working, so I am lucky to attend one every other year or so. Enough venting for me for another month or so, I am back to listing contents. :( Dang, I wish I didn't actually have to do something for those tightwad vendors to give me money. Gerrad, can you work on that for me? I am much better at fishing and drinking beer. I feel my true talents are being wasted.

Edited by - goose on 02/24/2004 13:33:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000