Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rr

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  10:01:50  Show Profile
anyone have any information about roof boots or shoes i have lost the address and do they work?
thanks

jlombardo

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  10:24:55  Show Profile
www.cougarpaws.com
Go to Top of Page

okclarryd

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  17:14:28  Show Profile
Cougar Paws will make a brave man out of a fraidy cat. Voice of experience. Nothing better for any amount.

LARRY D HARDIN
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  17:32:28  Show Profile
Best $100 dollars I every spent. Used to get the shakes at 10' 8/12 now (when i'm wearing my paws I get the shakes at 20' 10/12.
Don't leave home without them, even though they are pain pain to put on and off, you don't where them except on the roof.
Go to Top of Page

Todd_Summers

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  19:55:34  Show Profile
I have great idea for a little side action...It seems to me that if you eliminated the need for changing your shoes to climb a roof, retained the roof traction, the wearability, the comfort and the appearance that is necessary for those of us (in many trades) that wear Dockers and polos, that someone should be able to develop a "paws" type of shoe that can be worn on a semi-regular basis that is designed in a more presentable style.
Any interested investors?
Go to Top of Page

JSVenning

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  21:19:58  Show Profile
Merrill's approach shoes with "sticky soles" for the not-so-steep roofs work well, at about $60.They come in a variety of styles at the serious sports outlets like REI.
For you Dockers fans, try Traction Streetcars, around $45 @ Famous Footwear shoe stores. They look like leather boat shoes. 7-8/12 roofs, but no ankle support.
For the really steep roofs, you just can't beat CougarPaws, but be careful up there...they're sometimes called "good enough to make you stupid." It's still a long way down.
Go to Top of Page

rr

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  09:38:36  Show Profile
Thanks for the information
rr
Go to Top of Page

rr

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2002 :  11:07:56  Show Profile
one more request
i have been told that they come small and should order at least 1 size larger.
any comments and thanks again
rr
Go to Top of Page

Fpbcal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2002 :  22:55:29  Show Profile
When I ordered mine I talked to the gentleman that took the orderfor a long time. He said the sizees run pretty true so I ordered my dress show size of 9.5. Tennis show is 10.5. They are very comfortable. Talk to the order taker. It sounds like a one man show. He was very knowlageable, not just a mail order clerk. Like I said, I think you are ordering direct. I only wwear mine on special occasions (steep roofs) but the few times have made a believer of me and for lessthan $100 they are less than Doc Martins that a lot of adj wear.
Go to Top of Page

wraydecker

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2002 :  20:02:22  Show Profile
If you realy want to be the dare devil type buy some of the broomball shoes used in Northern MN. Broomball is a game of hockey played without skates. The shoes are soled with a sponge rubber material, these things are scarey, you can climb a wall. Play It Again Sports has them in stock here in Duluth. As for me I will continue to throw the tennis ball. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

rspantonjr@hotmail.com

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  21:02:22  Show Profile
Some advise for the 12/12 club. Cougar Paws are the best thing since sliced bread in the roofing world. I have been through 6-7 pairs the last three years and won't get on a steep without them. The only down fall is they give you a false sense of security. Be carefull of wearing them on wet grass measuring siding or out on a wet day. The sponge-like pad will soak up water and deteriorate the velcro over time. It is best to put them on only to go on a roof and take them off after. I lost a pad in Virginia 99' on a 12/12 3 story gable and damn near went a rolling. If it wasn't for some alum. ridge vent that held up when I grabbed on, I wouldn't be writing this. Good luck out there and remember, without storm chasers there would be less claims.
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2002 :  23:37:06  Show Profile
I have a simple rule, I put them on at the bottom of my ladder and take then off as soon as I reach the ground again. Annoying but worth my time.
Go to Top of Page

hail_razor

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  09:53:07  Show Profile
Throwing tennis balls? I sure hope that is only on steep roofs after several attempts of trying to gain access. Personally I dont see how damages get documented correctly unless you get on the roof, no matter what the pitch. I understand that some circumstances will prevent you from going up on all roofs but from what I understand there are several adjusters who wish to never go atop/under a dwelling. People always looking for the "easy" way out. Anyway, the cougar paws are good shoes, however, they sometimes can make you feel off balance. Give me some good boots with traction and I'll attempt anything.
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  11:24:18  Show Profile
I know of only one way to work safely on a roof of 7 to 12 pitch and that is with a safety rope or as the mountain climbers do. On a 12 pitch you don't get a second chance if you slip, trip or fall. You can get a good rope setup for the price of boots, its an investment well worth the price and the extra time it takes to get set up will save you time in the long run and maybe your life. It may pay you to get someone who has had tree work ,ranger/commando training for some advice. It will save you time once you get accustomed to using it. I would never rely on boots alone to provide for my safety, they can fall with you. And sometimes your ladder will let you down(fast) or get blown over, you can still repel down the side of the bldg.
Check out the tree surgeons in your area for some tips on equipment. If you think you like the idea try it, and get in the habit of using it for most roofs. Remember you are not roofing and dont have the cleats and other features roofers use to do their work.
This is not intended to take away the importance of good shoes, its like going hunting with a double barrel instead of a single shot.

Edited by - Newt on 11/12/2002 11:26:37
Go to Top of Page

hail_razor

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  12:00:33  Show Profile
Regarding the ladder issue, has anyone ever heard of or used The Gator Grip? It was designed to attach to a ladder and hold it in place by extending up underneath the shingles. I personally have one but have never used it although I can think of several instances where it may have come in handy. My only problem would be that an insured might think that damages are being caused due to the nature of the device.
Go to Top of Page

Steve H

Switzerland
30 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  15:33:41  Show Profile
Gator Grips are great for holding your ladder in place. They slide under the shingles and secure the top of the ladder to the roof. Since most roof accidents happen while mounting and dismounting, this is a great idea that actually works. They are designed and manufactured by an adjuster, James Coffee. His number is 817-596-4985.
I think they run about $30/pair.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000