Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

swink_d

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  21:41:07  Show Profile
I really don't want to rock the boat or make a lot of waves, but I would be most appreciative if someone would make a clear definitive statement on what a real adjuster is?. I have seen so many posts talking about Real adjusters and I just realized I don't know what one is?

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  22:00:35  Show Profile
Dave, the responses to your question could be real boat rockers.

Personally, I don't think there are a lot of "real adjusters" in the ranks of those who only do cat claims. Not a lot, means to me, far less than 1/2 of the cat trade population. That is not meant as a wave maker, but I think it is a result of the requirements for the job to do cat claims. You will often see the function of the cat claim adjuster characterized as "inspect and estimate". Perhaps in most homeowners type cat claims, that would suffice. However, on 'day to day' claims, involving other than "weather perils; there is much more that is involved in the function of an adjuster; that to me would contribute to what a "real adjuster" is.

Perhaps you could have a look in the "Getting Started" forum, at the thread titled "Claims Adjuster - an occupational primer". It provides a link to a Department of labor web site, that may give you some type of definitive statement relative to your question.
Go to Top of Page

swink_d

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  22:26:35  Show Profile
Thanks,
I have read those posts,and have not found this information. In an effort to "understand" the lingo of this site I posed this question. I was also under the impression that this was the CAT ADJUSTER forum. Is their a definable difference between a real adjuster and a real cat adjuster?

I was hoping to eliminate my confusion since i thought a professional adjuster was someone who completed their assigned claims fairly, accurately, and on time, regardless of the scope of the damage.

Forgive my ignorance for asking, I see do not speak the language, since I thought this was the general forum to ask all questions. If this is not the correct forum for asking these types of questions please point me in the right direction. If you or some could so kind as reply with link to the answer I would be appreaciative, and informed.

I guess another question I have is why do some of the adjusters have such negativity toward former roofers becoming wind adjusters?

Edited by - swink_d on 10/08/2003 22:31:39
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  22:42:00  Show Profile
swink, the reason that many here get bent out of shape by former roofers becoming adjusters is because so much of our time has been wasted by incompetent roofers who go around telling people with no damage that their insurance company owes them a roof when in reality it isn't damaged at all. I realize that on the other side of the fence roofers have probably run into alot of incompetent adjusters and as anyone who has worked cleanup knows there are several of them out there too.

Please forgive some of us for holding many roofers in such low esteem. I have met many wonderful, fair and honest roofers, but they are not the ones who made my 12 hour day an hour longer by telling insureds they have damage when they don't. A very experienced cat manager with a major carrier once told me that the way to handle it when it comes down to your word against theirs is to point out that a roofer is an expert at tearing off and applying a roof, an adjuster is an expert at identifying damage. It's much better than my instinctual response that I only use in my own head "I don't care what your roofer says, I'm the one that signs the check and you don't have damage." Deep down I'm not very politically correct. I know that may be shocking to some of the regulars.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  22:50:48  Show Profile
Dave, you misunderstood my comments. You are in the right spot to ask, and have asked the right doozy.

All I meant by referring to the other thread, is that possibly a generic non-partisan perspective of what an adjuster is would be found, and it would perhaps steady the water a bit for what might evolve.

There is only one "adjuster". I hope this web site is for all those within the trade as an adjuster, as Roy states in his welcome on the home page of this web site.

However, perhaps the water now becomes less clear. People will say, I'm a property adjuster, or I'm an auto adjuster, or I'm a liability adjuster, etc. That indicates the class (business type) of insurance claim that they adjust.

Then it gets divided further. The property adjuster may not do any cat claims or that may be all they do - hence that person characterizes themself as a cat adjuster. The auto adjuster may do only 1st party physical damage, or in areas where tort is involved may work only that aspect - they have their own 'tags'.

Then, I am back to the body of my 1st post.

To answer the 1st question of your last post, yes, there is a distinguishable difference "between a real adjuster and a real cat adjuster, as I touched on in my last post.
Go to Top of Page

cajunboy696

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  01:31:11  Show Profile
It is very true that there is a difference between a professional cat adjuster and a professional staff adjuster. However the difference is only in the job they are performing at any particular time. You may here staff adjusters saying that cat adjusters can only write estimates, and you might here cat adjusters scowling that staff adjusters couldn't begin to handle the tasks that we undertake on a daily basis.

All of this is "hog wash", the fact of the matter is that no matter what particular area of adjusting you develop your expertise in, as long as you give everything you have to be the best you can possibly be you are one of the "FAMILY" so to speak. Every one of us has to know coverages, and how to determine them, and every one of us must be able to identify and distinguish between damage causations.

Every one of us has a specialty and just about every one of us has handled losses of every type imaginable. Just because I work large commercial losses, and have extended training in that area "I am no better than an adjuster that only works residential hail claims". Because you better believe that if I get a residential hail loss which has questionable damage that hail adjuster is the first one I call to help. Afterall he's the expert...

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  15:24:39  Show Profile
Very well said CajunBoy. An adjuster is an aduster is an adjuster. There are adjusters who have worked cat claims their whole careers. You can't tell me they are not REAL adjusters. Just because someone may have work 3rd party and injury claims does not make them any MORE an adjuster than anyone else.

You think someone can jump off a BI desk and into a 5 foot flood claim? He is a real adjuster isnt he, having worked claims other than cat-related claims. Come on now.

Some of us have worked on both sides of the business, Catastrophe and Non-Cat. Does that make us any more REAL than someone who has only worked cat? No. Some will say different. Certainly there are those with more experience in different types of claims. Are they better adjusters? Not half the time.

Next time you are on a claim, talking to you insured, scoping the loss, getting the facts, jam your pen through the palm of your hand. If you bleed, you're a REAL adjuster.

CD
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  21:11:42  Show Profile
Being a real adjuster is being in a state of professionalism. That includes the time to learn and study when faced with a new challenge. A real adjuster never says, "but we did it that way last time"; "Mr insured I'll be there on Monday (we are not cable men). It includes how we treat the insured, the vendor, the company, each other and ourselves. Doesn't matter if we are cat staff local or even driving a desk.
Go to Top of Page

khromas

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  21:18:32  Show Profile
What is a "real" adjuster?

Boy, with the passions that seem to permeate through most of us who monitor this site, I would have expected that question to set a new record for responses! Shouldn't we all have just looked in the mirror and given a glowing self-portrait? (I offer this with tongue in cheek!) Or do I?

As an adjuster, be it a staff position or from an independent perspective, each of us has to determine how we will define that role AS IT PERTAINS TO OUR PERSONAL UNDERSTANDING OF THE JOB! We have to have an extreme amount of self-confidence in our abilities and in our sense of self-worth. We also have to keep in mind that we are the 'personification' of the insurance contract to that insured. We are "The good hands of Allstate", "State Farm's good neighbor", "Nationwide putting you back where you belong" etc., etc. While those are marketing slogans, they are the expectation that the insured has when they open the door of their home to you.

My personal philosophy holds that my responsibility as an adjuster (the should be NO qualification as to CAT or STAFF!) is to be many things to an insured with a claim. I must have the expertise to properly assess the damages and what is needed to do the repairs. I must be so well versed in the multitude of HO policies on the market that not only do I understand them completely and their underlying coverages for myself, but that I can adequately educate the insured in their meaning as well! I must be a good listener, a person of comfort to someone who has had their home, their refuge from the world, damaged or destroyed. .... and then, at the end of the day, I have to have the ability to turn all of that off in respect to the job and be able to devote my thoughts and attention to my own family! How do you get the point in your life where you can do this?
For me, it took over 20 years in the construction business, a BA in psychology, a law degree, being a licensed minister, 6 1/2 years as a staff adjuster w/ Allstate and 2 weeks as a CAT adjuster here in Virginia!

Maybe one of these days, I will grow up and decide what I REALLY want to be!!!!

A REAL adjuster is what you want to make it for yourself. Best of luck and Godspeed!

Kevin Hromas
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  21:39:49  Show Profile
Good words Kevin. Your REAL adjuster t-shirt is on its way. ha!
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  22:06:31  Show Profile
Yes PoppaCat, Kevin certainly deserves the "RA" t-shirt, for his wonderful expressions of his ideals of a real adjuster.

"A real adjuster is what you want to make it for yourself", is really all there has to be said about it; or anything else a person would want to pursue in their lifetime.

In a way, it blows my thoughts all to hell, that I wanted to gingerly advance on the subject; and in another way it very clearly supports the distinction I wanted to illustrate.
Go to Top of Page

swink_d

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2003 :  23:12:45  Show Profile
Thanks to all,
You have all given great responses.
My observation is that the times I have seen or heard the term "real Adjuster" has been some one describing themselves. I really enjoyed seeing it described as a "self portrait".

My take away is, The the key to success is to create a win for the insured, the carrier, the TPA, and yourself regardless of your assignment. If you accomplish this you are a real adjuster?

Edited by - swink_d on 10/11/2003 23:13:49
Go to Top of Page

Glowtom

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  09:08:06  Show Profile
To carry this discussion one step further: what is the difference between a general adjuster and a real general adjuster? Some are promoted, some are appointed, and some are self-appointed.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  09:09:02  Show Profile
CC, I understand the distinction you want to make. I realize there are those who know more than others and have more experience in different types of coverage. We can all learn from them. We can all learn from each other for that matter.

Please join me now as I perform "We Are The World" in my native interpretative dance.

CD
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  11:03:59  Show Profile
That wasn't quite it PoppaCat. From my own personal perspective, I know of and see a number of people who know a hell of a lot more than I do about many things, including insurance. But, they don't want to or are not capable of transforming that theory into professional practice. How does that army saying go, "be the best that you can be"?

The other distinction that I see from years ago, is the lack of available shirt tail mentors, those willing to pass along an interpretative view of the theory to the next generation of insurance people.

It has taken me over 30 years to learn whatever I know about insurance and claims, and unfortunately now it seems that all to often at times, that I am at the point in the curve where I start to forget some of it; and must rely more and more on my filing cabinet to extract information.

To your statement of those that know more or have more experience in different areas, those people must be prepared to impart some of that knowledge and share some of those experiences.

As they say in med school for many of the different procedures they learn - watch one, do one, teach one.

It is our turkey weekend up here among the crimsom maple leafs. I'll hum your tune and try and envision your dance, while I roast our chestnuts.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  11:08:26  Show Profile
It's kind of like the difference between a family physician with 45 yrs of experience and a recent medical school graduate. They are both doctors but they are not the same thing. I really don't think you could call one a "real" doctor and the other one not a "real" doctor.

We are all at various stages of experience in our careers. Some gain veteran status faster than others and some reach a certain point and put it on cruise control, happy to be where they are and not interested in getting any better. Basically if your employer calls you an adjuster then you are an adjuster. No one owns the dubbing sword to bestowe onto anyone the "title" of Real Adjuster.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000