Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  11:13:31  Show Profile
Okay, now that we know what we are...we shall next delve into the varying degrees or levels of the biz.

In the beginning, there are the bottom dwelling mulletts feeding on the muck as trainees. This is the boot camp of adjusting and where is found carrier new hires. This is actually a fun spot to be in for a short while because you can screw-up and commit a variety of atrocities as part of the learning experience. (I just paid the policy limits of $125,000 for a broken bathroom window in a tract house thru a coding error, and I forgot to apply the deductible! Ho! Ho!, better luck next time!)

From this honored position, the climb up the ladder begins. For those following the progression thru the insurance ranks, one goes from carrier staff adjuster or very large independent staff adjuster to supervisor to manager, with stops at assorted support slots along the way.

But somewhere along the way a defect in character develops. Some diseased germ of impatience and discontent infects the soul. The wind shifts...a whiff of scent wafts across the room...then the phone rings.

The next thing you know, you have jumped off the career ladder and are either falling to the ground or are soaring with fellow eagles to the veritable acme of the industry as a full fledged, fire breathing, ego maniacal storm trooper.

Yep, here you are, at the summit of the profession. Your corporate necktie is ceremoniously burned and your new company vehicle is whatever you had in the driveway. No more staying at the Holiday Inn, it's now a search for the Cheap & Cheerful & Hopefully Clean. "And, golly-gee!, why is everything so expensive?, and why do these carrier people treat me as if I was some kind of ogre? I was one of them just a couple of days ago." This pilgrim still has much to learn.

The pilgrim as transcended to our level. He/She has evolved from the insurance side of the house in a natural progression. There are those amongst us that aspire from other fields of endeavor, principally the contracting biz. They have skills in estimating, an independent spirit, and certain sales skills when dealing with the public, primarily as the image of the hero who can fix there problems.

What they lack is skill in the strange realities of not only 'selling' downstream to the public, but 'selling' upstream to the carrier honchos. Without a hard foundation in not only policy and contract interpretation, but as importantly, an understanding in the dynamics of insurance personalities and insurance egos and methodologies, an ex-contractors value is more suspect than Mr/Ms ex-carrier employee who has just jumped the fence.

Unfortunately, stereotypes persist. There are, however, select people in our midst who have overcome the persistent image thru intensive formal education and are knowledgeable far beyond pale of ordinary souls. They have pointed the better way for those who aspire to join us. A certain Tarheel comes to mind. Professional designations such as C.P.C.U. or A.I.C. or various certifications all elevate ones knowledge as well as ones image with the carriers. As the experts from out of town, our image, (and value), must inspire confidence from the carriers. Note, that ego is far different from professional competence. An ego says, "I'm as dumb as a stump but I'll try anythang once!" Professional competence says, "Tell me what happened and then we'll take a look at it." That storm trooping is underpopulated by the latter and not the former reflects a need for selective breeding techniques.

So there you have it, The Levels of Adjusting has they pertain to the profession. For those interested, I suggest more time spent on research books than on researching the boobs in bars. We thank you.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  22:01:47  Show Profile
Well as usual, that is very clear.

What can be done to create a hybrid pod of peas, where all the little independent peas in the pod share the qualities of each other; resulting in a uniform group of peas and a sought after seed stock?
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  22:15:25  Show Profile
Cloned Peas!!! That's what we need. Uniformed cloned peas! A cross between good and evil, ying and yang, the hero and the terror. We will create the perfect adjuster. No feeling, no bias, and a warehouse of useless information. And we will call it...... Jim Pasen!

So let it be written, so let it be done!

CD
Go to Top of Page

cat man do

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  11:21:42  Show Profile
a little Humor
A real Adjuster is something that the company rools in the dirt all day and the dogs piss on at night
Go to Top of Page

Manmut

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  13:15:40  Show Profile
My old manager gave me this as a joke one day. The sad part is that much of it is true.

Enjoy!

Standard Claims Adjuster Letter of Resignation

To Whom It May Concern:

It is with regret that I have come to the conclusion that it is necessary for me to write this letter of resignation; but things being as they are, I feel that as a claims adjuster I am a failure and will never have the qualifications needed to fulfill this unenviable, thankless, and melancholy job.

To be an adjuster, one must be courteous, diplomatic, shrewd, persuasive, an expert jokester, even-tempered, slow to anger, a Sherlock Holmes, up-to-date, good looking (with a firm hand and honest eyes), in possession of a photographic memory, an English scholar, acute in business judgment and the embodiment of virtue – but with a good, working knowledge of sin and evil in all its forms.

An adjuster must possess detailed understanding of all types of insurance policies (both currently available and planned for future release), as well as electricity and engineering, physics and plumbing, chemistry and contracting, mechanics and manufacturing, science and shipping, bookkeeping and banking, real estate and retailing, horse trading and human nature, state laws, county and municipal ordinances, and all insurance case law. Though not absolutely required, it is considered most helpful to have M.D., LL.D., Ph.D., J.D., and D.D. degrees.

An adjuster must be a mind reader, a hypnotist and an athlete. He must be acquainted with machinery of all types and materials of all kinds; and he must know the exact current price of everything from a microprocessor to a supertanker, from a shoestring to a skyscraper. An adjuster must know all, see all, and tell nothing. It is extremely useful to have the ability to be several places (minimum of six) at the same time.

It is essential for the adjuster to be able to arrive at a settlement which can perfectly and equally satisfy the claims manager, the claims examiner, the district manager, the home office claims department, the underwriting department, the legal department, the general agent, the local agent, the attorney general, the commissioner of insurance, the insured, the claimant, the occupant – as well as a wide variety of neighbors, friends, relatives, and casual acquaintances.

Having heard of only one person with the above qualifications, and finding that He was crucified nearly 2000 years ago, I now feel that it is impossible for me to ever reach that state of perfection. Wherefore, without further ado, and for the benefit of all, I, being diminished both in mental and physical capacity, do herewith relinquish all rights, claims and titles, past, present, and future, as an insurance claims adjuster.

Patrick W. Laws
Go to Top of Page

Tom Toll

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  20:18:24  Show Profile
This was written by an adjuster with Farm Bureau in 1961 in Little Rock, AR. It was given to his claim manager as a joke. It has beeen passed on and on and on, with changes here and there. If read properly, it actually is a true statement in every respect.
Go to Top of Page

Noble R. Nash

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  20:26:38  Show Profile
There is a picture on my wall, an old man with white hair,old top hat, black vest,ruffled bow tie. He is smiling like he knows every answer to every question. Behind him is a sign that says,"Doctor/Dentist/Undertaker".
Go to Top of Page

Type R 1090

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  22:13:54  Show Profile
I have that "resignation letter" tacked onto my desk at work. It's sad but true [:(].

Go to Top of Page

swink_d

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  09:04:32  Show Profile
I guess this would be part 2 to my thread
If you dislike the Job that has to be done, the people that you work for, the people that you have to work with,and the travel, why don't you just quit?? I dunno, maybe some of you have quit already in your heart, but just haven't quit trying to cash the checks.

Edited by - swink_d on 10/17/2003 09:07:11
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  10:20:01  Show Profile
Swink, I suspect you have comletely missed the point of this gallows humor.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  11:52:15  Show Profile
Swink, the point of the resignation letter is that anyone that does this job for any length of time must truly love the job because of all the challenges and hurdles one must overcome to be good at it. In what other profession can you learn construction, law, psychology, accounting, salesmanship, medicine, physics, thermodynamics and a myriad of other diciplines? Those of us who love a challenge and despise monotony excell in this job. Those who like the safety of the familliar will hate it.
Go to Top of Page

swink_d

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  13:28:43  Show Profile
exactly the way I see it,
I didn't pose my response from the resignation letter, I thought it was kinda cute. Its a shame that in the heart of your post you speak of learning, and the job is about adjusting, and so many talented individuals don't want to "learn" or "adjust" to the changing enviroment
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  19:15:12  Show Profile
Dang KA, well said. You should crocket that into some fabric and hang it on the wall. I almost got a tear here.

I love you man!

CD
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  21:41:38  Show Profile
I find the best way to use a credit card to achieve sex is to charge something really expensive at the jewlery store and give it to your honey. They always fall for shiny baubles. Just my experience.
Go to Top of Page

TedPasan

82 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  23:18:03  Show Profile
Oh CD, quit playing coy with us. We know better. You don't really expect us to believe those cute young things were hanging around your motel room long into the night seeking your guidance on how to handle alcohol induced spontaneous combustion claims?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000