Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  11:59:26  Show Profile
Good spin Clayton. Bet a bunch disagree with you.
Go to Top of Page

Johnd

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  12:37:20  Show Profile
I have never worked for a carrier or vendor that required a picture from the ridge line. I have worked for many carriers/vendors who were quite explicit in their instructions of; "If it is dangerous, do not step off the ladder."

I have attempted to submit a test square photo of every roof I adjust which contains the Field, ie N,S,E,W, and the insureds name on the test square along with a count of the different types of damage(s) found. Apparently it is obvious to any insurer or vendor that this is proof positive that the roof has in fact been adjusted and was "walked."

If any carrier/vendor demanded photos from the ridge line, I would turn-back any claims that were too dangerous to traverse the roof.

While I respect the carrier/vendor requirements, I have a greater respect for my family and my need to continue to provide for them. If all adjusters would adapt this attitude, these requirements would not be written in stone.

I have lost friends (as in dead) who did not respect Newtons Law or just lost their concentration for a moment, which is all it takes to take the final tumble. This is a dangerous business and requires the utmost in professionalism.

We should all demand to be paid according to the risk that we expose ourself and our family to every day. The question you have to ask yourself every day is; "How much safety is too much?"

John Durham
sui cuique fingunt fortunam
Go to Top of Page

jlombardo

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  13:55:45  Show Profile
Johnd,
AMEN BROTHER....WELL SAID......
Go to Top of Page

dougger222

9 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  08:37:35  Show Profile
Now, what would the insurance company say if you said the roof is to dangerous to take a peak picture and what if a local roofer came and took the picture? If the insurance company said, "NO, you do it" there is something wrong with there thinking process. Honestly, how much would a roofer charge to take a picture or two? I have never and will never charge for an estimate. If an adjuster called myself and asked me to take a picture of a damaged roof I know I would bring my proposal book with and more that likely do it for free.
I have only done a couple jobs directly through insureance companies so I don't know very much about how they work.
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  09:05:16  Show Profile
We know what you mean...we never know how the insurance companies work either. On every storm, they do it differently.
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  12:39:41  Show Profile
JohnD: I belive you, but don,t understand how you missed the two largest carriers. PM me for the reginal managers home base.
Go to Top of Page

Johnd

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  17:04:44  Show Profile
Trader: There is no significant money to be made working for the "two largest carriers." I have worked for many of the small carriers, many of which liked the work product and supplied all the work I could handle when I wanted to work for them. There are probably a large number of adjusters who read but do not post here that could/would tell you that they are as busy as they want to be working for carriers/vendors that they have a strong relationship with. I also know several who post here regularly, who are in demand due to their superior work product.

Hope this answers your question(s).

John Durham
sui cuique fingunt fortunam

Edited by - Johnd on 02/09/2004 17:06:14
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  18:30:34  Show Profile
I work for one of the two largest carriers and have never once been told you have to have a photo from the peak. I've also never been told to do anything that I thought was too dangerous to be done safely. As long as your pictures are of sufficient scope to give a fair representation of the condition of the roof any GOOD manager will accept them. If a manager tells you to do something that you can not or will not do, simply say, "I can't do that, please take the file back."

The only time that I have found that managers prefer a photo from the peak is when someone tries to bill for 2 story or steep. They at least want you to prove that you walked the roof if you are going to bill extra for a steep charge. That seems fair to me.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  21:53:42  Show Profile
RV, of the 65 different fee schedules currently available for review, only 4 had any specific reference to a steep or two storey allowable charge; as follows:

Steep (i.e. 7/12 pitch & greater) -
State Farm $30, 1 Beacon $30, Farmers $25, AmFam $20.

Two storey height & greater -
State Farm $30, 1 Beacon $30, Farmers $25, AmFam $20.
Go to Top of Page

Cecil

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  07:46:50  Show Profile
The extra $30 doesn't really compensate you for the time and risk involved. I normally do it to move ahead and so I don't have to turn the claim back in. Occasionally one of the above Co's even pays you double the base rate for high and steep if a rope and harness is needed. I discovered that even with that, you lost money because of the extra time required and the fatigue which hit you earlier in the day.

If your photos are adequate and show the damage or show there is no damage, usually there is never a complaint from the Co. Requiring a photo from the ridge line on any and every roof claim is not needed. I sympathize with the adjuster who must adjust under those rules.
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  16:13:55  Show Profile
Many adjusters were told "you must" in 1998 tornado/hail in Nashville, Tenn. I was one of them.
Go to Top of Page

Roof_Dr_Sr

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  20:30:46  Show Profile
SEARCHING for a device I saw an adjuster with one day about 10 years ago. He sat it at the bottom of a roof and extended it out about two ft. Then he looked thru a acope and lined up the other end with the top of the ridge. It gave him the exact height of this bad boy wood shingle roof with no threat. I'm no spring chicken any longer and up till now after 15 yeas on the roofs never fell. (knocking on head) Anyone know where I can get a device like this... One day I was walking a flat roof with a client ...He was walking in front of me and said you have to be careful right up here because the wood is weak. At that exact time he fell thru the roof. He extended his arms out and they caught him so I could pull him up. To be honest it was so funny I almost fell off the roof myself laughing so hard. I respect the adjusters who work on roofs. Especially the ones in Colleyville Texas where I do a lot of business. If anyone ever needs a two story ladder we have them for rent... delivered to your site for $75per house. We hold the ladder in place and will pick you up if you fall. [:D]Call Accutech Roofing in Ft. Worth 817-516-8700 if working a storm here. Be sure to order early before we sell out. Billing availabe for a week at a time.

Roof Dr.Sr.
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  20:39:39  Show Profile
There are several gadjets out there that will scamper up a slope regardless of the type of roofing to measure it. There is the butterfly and a kind of robot wheel device that is advertised here. I use the 'rat', myself. The 'rat' comes in two colors and is free.
Go to Top of Page

stevendemars

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  17:35:52  Show Profile
Hello Ghostbuster:

Could you please expand on those two devices that make this task somewhat easier . . .

Thanks, Steve

Steven DeMars
Go to Top of Page

dougger222

9 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  19:35:30  Show Profile
The other day a framer had a mishap on the job next to the home I was roofing. He was on the first level and was grabbing a 2x4 and fell backwards out the window. The fall was around a story but did huge damage. He broke his back and his arm. I guess two weeks back he was going to be fired but he had a workers comp. injury and was on light duty when this happened. I guess he was twitching on the ground and was awake the whole time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000