Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Brooks Todd

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  09:52:33  Show Profile
1 more thing.Wind , short of a hurricane, or tornado, will not cause granule loss. So I guess that proves granule loss is roof damage.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  15:55:44  Show Profile
Eventually, it all comes full circle. Have you been here too long when a subject we beat into the ground not so long ago raises its ugly head again? "It" is coming to this quiet little thread. We cannot stop it now! I smell tailfeathers!

Brooks the Construction Student, granules come off when it rains. Is the roof damaged then?

Edited by - CatDaddy on 10/09/2003 20:00:34
Go to Top of Page

webmaster@loridiaz.com

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  17:02:05  Show Profile
Thanks to the guys that responded to my specific question. I spoke with the Examiner today. The two large slopes had a couple of dings each. What I mean is maybe two dings per square if that had damage. It was the three front gables that had a little more. The roof is five years old. The only other dings were on the vents. I think I forgot to mention that this is a gated community. The area is well kept. I believe the Examiner decided to take a straight 50% holdback and will reimburse her for the entire roof. I did not see any other damage. He did speak with the insured today so it has finally been settled.
Go to Top of Page

webmaster@loridiaz.com

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  17:15:19  Show Profile
It does not look like my message posted. Again thanks guys for your response. I spoke with the Examiner today and I believe he is paying the Insured less 50% depreciation. Of course once she replaces the roof he will reimburse her. The roof was five years old and the two main gables barely had any damage and the front slopes had more. This is a gated community and the homes are well kept.
I noticed some of the responses to Jennifer and my questions. I hope I can find that info on Hail that I received from a company that I once worked for as an inside adjuster. I like Mr. Brooks response. Some of these companies in certain states are not paying stating that the "structural integrity of the roof is not damaged and since it is still functioning it should not be covered under the peril of hail". Good argument but I wonder if this ever won in court.
Thanks to Mr. Lombardo especially!!!!
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  19:15:46  Show Profile
Brooks, pea sized hail does not damage a roof. PERIOD. Wind does displace granules, foot trafic displaces granules, birds and squirles running across the roof displace granules, roofers applying a roof displace granules. By your logic the roof is damaged in the process of applying it. Try to sell that one. By your logic then, every insurance company should pay to replace every roof that is new and then subrogate against the roofer for damaging it in the process of installing it. How about them apples?
Go to Top of Page

jlombardo

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  19:46:24  Show Profile
EVERYONE....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  20:18:24  Show Profile
Now Kile, be easy with Brooks the Roofer Construction student. Maybe he has not read that chapter yet. Dont spoil the ending for him.

Also, wind-driven pea-sized hail can damage a shingle. Just an observation.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  20:55:54  Show Profile
there was an error, see below.

Edited by - KileAnderson on 10/09/2003 20:59:38
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  20:57:53  Show Profile
CatDaddy, I'll give you that one. But it will be visible damage. Even if you have to get on your knees and search. Otherwise it isn't damage. And what kind of peas are we talking about? Is it black eyed peas or those big green summer peas or the Le Seur petite-pois with the little mushrooms and coctail onions, you know, the ones in the silver can. Those cocktail onions would leave a mark and the mushrooms will leave a very funny looking mark.
Go to Top of Page

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  21:02:35  Show Profile
Okay now... peas are mushy and would splat on impact. Think more like bb's.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  21:05:15  Show Profile
But the cocktail onion goes good with a little Bombay Safire in a frozen glass (extra dirty).

Edited by - KileAnderson on 10/09/2003 21:12:08
Go to Top of Page

okclarryd

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  08:17:37  Show Profile
Hail damage is kinda like "Ugly". It's all in the eye of the beholder. The inspection process should be the same from claim to claim and in many aspects, it is. But.......... I have found that when on the roof, I need to look a little to the side or up or down but not directly at the shingle or tab. Not at a 90% angle. If you "slant" your perspective, the damage is much easier to recognize. And, there's nothing wrong with finding "No visible damage AT THIS TIME" Call 'em like you see 'em.

LARRY D HARDIN
Go to Top of Page

Glowtom

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2003 :  16:21:57  Show Profile
Many times hail damage to fiberglass shingles is not apparent immediately after the storm. The granules have been loosened but are still in their original position on the shingle. After several heavy rains these loosened granules will wash off the roof. If you are on a roof just after a storm, get down close to the shingle and pound the roof with your hand. You can see the loose granules move at the hail hits. Do not "walk" a roof looking for damage. Move from one place to another and stop. We all have found one hit, then another, and then they all pop out at you. This rarely happens when you are moving on a roof.

Slight granual loss is usually inconsequential. Heavy granual loss is fatal. Everything in between is the problem.
Go to Top of Page

Brooks Todd

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  09:14:47  Show Profile
So who wins? The granule camp, or non-granule camp. This has been very interesting to this student.
Be careful on all roofs, and don't slip on any sound roofs, covered in loose granules.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  18:10:23  Show Profile
We all do Brooks. You, the roofer, get to call granule loss hail damage. And we, the adjusters, get to ask the insured to get another roofer because the one they have now does not know what they are talking about. We both get to do our jobs. Its a win-win situation!

Good luck!

CD

Edited by - CatDaddy on 10/12/2003 18:11:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000