Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

okclarryd

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  07:38:08  Show Profile
Hey, Brooks, granules in the gutters only signifies granule loss, not the cause of said loss. The "cause of loss" is what determines coverage (that's a check). A roof loses granules daily from exposure to the elements. We have all seen the roofs that are threadbare with fiberglass shining that are 20 years old and have seen very little if any hail. There is no coverage for that circumstance. From what you have been saying (and not saying), if the shingles are losing granules, the insurance company should provide coverage (issue a check). Probably not.

I, for one (and apparently the only one) appreciate your viewpoint from the roofer's view. I don't necessarily agree but I appreciate it. Wasn't it Patton that said "Know thine enemy"??

LARRY D HARDIN
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  08:45:39  Show Profile
I appreciate him for the same reason Larry. Its like my ole' mamma use to say, "Stupid is as stupid does."

CD

Edited by - CatDaddy on 10/15/2003 15:09:13
Go to Top of Page

Brooks Todd

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  12:19:15  Show Profile
Why are we enemies?
How much of an adjusters work, is roof claims? Without roofers, y'all wouldn't have all this work.
BLT
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  13:16:19  Show Profile
A "roofer" has nothing to do with an "adjuster's work". The "work" would still be there without the likes of you. Our "work" is with the roof and its components and parts.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  15:22:24  Show Profile
You have it backwards Brooksie. YOU wouldnt have all the work you have without US. You may get to a policyholders house first and tell the what you think but we are the decision makers. The experts on what is covered and what is not; what is damaged and what is not. It is our opinion that matters. We have the checkbook. You are just a byproduct of what WE do.
Go to Top of Page

Johnd

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  17:08:25  Show Profile
Brooks:
If you are really into talking with all your buddies and impressing them with your knowledge of roofing and granule loss, tile expansion, etc. why dont you try this webpage where you will no doubt feel right at home. www.roofingcontractor.com Who knows, you might even learn something. An example of your roofing buddies on how they handle a little old lady who complained about their work is offered below.

Re: dealing with problem customers
Posted By buck dowell on 10/9/2003 at 11:19 PM
tell her to go to hell. lol. just worked today. i ain't like the rest of these pretty boy roofers. i'm uncivilized. i descend from vikings.

John Durham
sui cuique fingunt fortunam

Edited by - Johnd on 10/15/2003 17:15:31
Go to Top of Page

Brooks Todd

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  19:43:57  Show Profile
Hola Amigo's:
Couldn't wait to see the replies to my last observation.
CCarr you have waited a while to jump on the pile. What do you mean "The likes of you"? Our company and me are very professional, and reputable. We donated material & labor for 2 roofs for Habitat for Humanity in September. That is pretty generous for a small outfit like ours. Also with the average deductible on residential loss, in our area being $1,500 - $2,500 do you think we are going to lead the insured to believe they need a roof if they don't? They are not stupid if they can afford a house like that.
Until next time
BLT
Go to Top of Page

Brooks Todd

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  19:49:28  Show Profile
John D:
Thanks for the website. I will surely feel almost as at home as I do here. Why would a guy tell his customer to go to hell? We try to screen the problem customers, and we bid the job accordingly. We have to give any one who has us come out a quote, if they need one. We try to price ourself out of the job. You can usually tell the problems within 5 minutes.
Thanks again for passing that site to me.
BLT
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  21:34:49  Show Profile
Unlike you, Brooks, we can't sweep the problem customers under the rug. We have to be profesional enough to handle EVERYTHING that comes our way, problems or not. You've just confirmed a long standing feeling that most adjusters have had. Roofers intentionally inflate estimates. Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

Catmandale

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  01:50:20  Show Profile
I have been watching this thread with much interest, and I see that it has again degenerated into a free for all against roofers.

I have had my issues with some individual roofers ( and other contractors). It seems though, that a vocal few think they are the devil incarnate. As with any profession, and the society at large, there are good and bad.

Mr. Brooks has an opinion, which many of us agree with... to a point. It seems petty to treat him badly just because he doesn't see how really wise and fair and all-knowing all of us adjusters are.

Just out of curiosity, I visited the website linked in a previous post. It seesm that the roofers also have an avenue of information exchange and fellowship, much like CADO. Good for them. As for "buck dowell", his post is not far from some seen on CADO. Taken in context, the whole thread, a contractor was trying to figure out how to handle a customer relations issue. He got varying opinions and comments, just like here.

Having been a contractor in my past life, I can tell you that some people are just hard to deal with and the high bid can be a valid way to chase them away or at least make the battle worth your while. A contractor has a right to bid whatever he wants, he just may not get the job, or keep his people busy. By the way, how did the customer go from being just "she" to being a "litle old lady"? Bias, and careless reporting.

Our profession requires that we interact with customers, contractors and others. A little courtesy and empathy can go a long way. I try to show respect until proven it is undeserved.

I will now take my place as the new target of the day.

"When we thought that we had all the answers,
suddenly all the questions changed."
Mario Benedetti (1920); Uruguayan writer.
Go to Top of Page

Brooks Todd

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  07:41:16  Show Profile
Anderson:
Do you interpret insurance policies the way you did my post? If so the insured are in trouble. Get a new job if you don't like dealing with problem customers, we are allowed to price a project at what ever we want. If we are high bid, but the best, why can't the homeowner chose us. Do you know anything about a free market place, or the bidding process for a construction project? No body I have ever worked with has tried to fix pricing, except for the insurance industry, and its representatives. You don't know anything about my market, and seem to hard headed to see the truth or try to learn something new.
Later
BLT
Go to Top of Page

Brooks Todd

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  08:11:38  Show Profile
1 more thing:
John D you need to read what I asked about tile expansion. Once again tile was hail damaged . The adjuster is the one who said tile was damaged from heat expansion.
I wouldn't want you interpreting my policy, because you seem to see what you want to see when reading something.
BLT
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  08:57:14  Show Profile
Let me see, you said that if you didn't really want a job you just throw a really high bid at it and hope it goes away. Well, for you, it may go away. But for the adjuster who doesn't have the option of just walking away from the customer it then becomes a real headache. The insured calls my office upset because I don't know what I'm doing and I short changed him and I owe him more money because his roofer said it would cost 50% more than I said it would.

How exactly was I supposed to interpret your post. You admitted that you inflate estimates. And I'm sure that occasionally you get jobs out of those inflated estimates. I caught a roofer doing just that to a little old lady a few weeks ago and I broke it down for him. I subtracted the costs of all of the material and dump fees and it turned out he was charging $150 a square for labor. When I asked him why he was charging so much for labor he hung up on me. I called the little old lady's son who was handling the claim for her and told him the story and he said "Well I won't do business with that guy, he sounds very unprofesional".

A couple of weeks later the lady's son calls me back and tells me he got three more bids and they were all less than our adjusters estimate so they got the roof done by one of them and they are happy. Then he said the best part "You know Mr. Anderson, I think that guy was trying to gouge my mom because I talked to the neighbor and that guy did their roof for the price you guys had estimated." Out of curiosity I asked the man for the neighbors name and he gave it to me. I looked it up and the neighbor's roof was essentially the same as the little old lady's and we had paid them only $50 more than the little old lady, yet the roofer wanted $2000 more to do the work. No, roofers never inflate prices.

If you are the high bid, but you are the best, the insured certainly has the right to choose you to do the work, but if there are 5 other contractor's and they are all doing the same work for much less, the insurance company doesn't have to pay your prices. If the insured insists on using your services he can pay the difference.

Brooks, I'd like to thank you for finally actually admitting that you guys do it.

I know it sounds like I'm painting all roofers with the same brush, but I'm not. I know several roofers that are fine people and if it wasn't an ethical problem I'd enjoy having lunch or playing a round of golf with them. I'm also sure that there are even more good roofers that I just haven't hear of because they charge fair prices and our insureds get their work done without ever having to call us back. It is only the bad ones that I hear about because those are the ones that the insureds need to call us in on.

Edited by - KileAnderson on 10/16/2003 09:09:52
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  09:14:49  Show Profile
Brooks, you stepped in it now boy. You broke the "roofer's code" and let out a secret we all suspected was true anyway. You can post all ya want but you will forever be the gouging roofer. You would be better off to be dubbed a sex offender.

Boys, clean this mess up!

CD
Go to Top of Page

Brooks Todd

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  16:20:10  Show Profile
Cat:
I don't gouge because when I don't want a job, I price myself right out of the market. I have never done a project that we bid high, so that eliminates gouging. Are you guys communist, don't believe in free enterprise, and making all the money you can. Its not my fault that y'all are mired with some pricing guidelines. If I do a proper job, complete the work, and offer a warranty, I can charge whatever I like. I have never called a carrier and asked for more money. I don't know what my customers do.
And at least I have sex.
Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000