Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  19:53:33  Show Profile
I was just browsing the classified and saw an ad that said this:
Hail--- Top Pay--- Crews that work through the winter.
http://www.catadjuster.org/classifieds/classDetail.asp?id=228

How can crews install roofs in the winter in an area that has an avg monthly temperature of 23 degrees between Jan & Feb? Aren't they taking too much of a risk that there will be issues w/ the shingles not sealing?

Any opinions?

Jennifer

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  21:02:01  Show Profile
Jenn, I don't have the technical answer, but I know 1,000s of new roofs are laid every winter, up here where there is a real winter.

I've never known it to be any different, whether it was Calgary, Ottawa or Toronto, the housing boom didn't stop come December. Can't help but drive by more than one new suburb a day and sooner or later 1,000s of new asphalt shingle roofs get laid before the snow melts off the streets.

Never heard of any concern or issue arising from this.

Be interesting to see if there is any different viewpoint or observations.
Go to Top of Page

cat man do

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  21:10:52  Show Profile
Jennifer I started out as a kid ( 1969 ) roofing in freezing weather only had to be careful not to busted fingers and had to not damage the shingles by hitting them to hard.... the shingles will seal once the roof warms up even in cold weather .... John
Go to Top of Page

catmanager

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  17:41:01  Show Profile
Jennifer,

Mr. Carr is right, the reality is that many roofs are put on in the cold months.

Cat Man Do is also right, roofing in cold weather is not fun and damage to the shingles is hard to prevent.

I think part of the answer lies on some roofing manufacturer's website somewhere, and also on the wrapper of each bundle of shingles.....

Seems like I remember something about needing an outside temp of least 50 degrees...of course I too, think they will seal later, and proving damage that is caused by ignoring the installation recommended for the manu. warranty to be in effect is probably very hard....

I think that is why you see new construction ignoring this fact (hard to come back against them), and real roofing co's (who ususally give warranties)only working limited months each year (which is why, combined with union wages, some 3 tabs in NY go for $225-275/sq instead of $110 in TX)

Just a thought from my little foxhole...

Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  18:36:18  Show Profile
Yet another way that unions harm America.
Go to Top of Page

stormincontractor

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  21:26:01  Show Profile
I believe that ad was for a hail sales position in the Chicago market. This market has a lot of cedar shakes and specialty roofs. Many of these can be put on without concerns for the temperature. Wood unlike asphalt does require a seal to adhere to the course below it. It’s too bad more of the shakes are not being approved out here. Are any of you guys still working out here?
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  07:05:31  Show Profile
Roofing question> I have noticed lately on a lot of damaged roofs I see a plastic strip that is on the middle of the back of the shingle. There is some tar under the strip and sometimes this strip says do not remove. I have asked about this and have received many different answers form roofers. some remove this strip during application most do not. I have been told it is for packing purposes and have been told that it is biodegradable and is supposted to disappear in a year or two. If there is tar under the strip then it appears that it must have a purpose? Anyone know the correct answer.
Go to Top of Page

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  07:23:30  Show Profile
Most of the roof claims in the Chicago area (from hail storms in July & August) are for the neighborhoods w/ comp roofs. I have actually only seen 2-3 claims come through for shakes (and one was siding).

And I did try to look online to get the answer to my temperature question. I couldn't find any manufacturer who stated it on their website. As soon as I find my spare moment(I know I left it around here somewhere), I will drop by a hardware store and take a look at the bundles.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Todd_Summers

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  09:00:08  Show Profile
Mark, the plastic strip you refer to is to prevent the shingles from sticking together while still in the bundle. If you will notice, it is on the bottom of the shingle, where the actual seal strip is on top of the shingle. It is not necessary to remove them for installation.
Go to Top of Page

cajunboy696

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  01:10:33  Show Profile
Although it's not a great idea to put up a three tab roof in the dead of winter, as long as you get a couple nice sunny days around 60 or so the roof should seal (unless it very light colored). At ambient 60 and the sun beating down theshingle should absorb enough heat to suffiently seal the shingles. In areas with alot of snow and real cold winters snow and ice shield is usually installed which would help stop any water back up (ice damming) under the shingles. That's my quasi professional opinion anyway.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Mcbride doug

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  17:48:38  Show Profile
not sure if its an approved technique or not, but i have seen roofers in Highlands Ranch, Colorado putting on shingles in late October (it was butt cold and windy). They held a roofing torch about 3 feet over the shingles and heated them artificially so they would seal. Hope the contractor had general liability ins., but it seemed to work.
Go to Top of Page

catmanager

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  18:01:29  Show Profile
That is downright scary!!! There have been enough roofers catch the decking below on fire while installing torch-down modifed bitumen..... I can't imagine taking that chance on old crispy plywood!!!
Go to Top of Page

kwsmith

10 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2003 :  18:24:11  Show Profile
guys- evidently we don't have many old gray f*arts on here- otherwise you wouldn't be so concerned with seal-downs and other-than-hot weather installations. there was a time when 3 tabs didn't even have the seal down strip. that is a comparatively recent improvement in roofing, and i suspect it's more for wind-resistance, to help keep tabs fronm chicken-feathering, than for water-proofing. at any rate, the seal strip sure doesn't make a shingle water-proof. to my way of thinking, if those shingles of years gone by could lay their entire life without being "sealed", is it asking too much of modern day shingles for them to be laid and left to seal themselves- regardless of the season.

kwsmith
Go to Top of Page

Steve_One

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  17:51:33  Show Profile
I was thinking that maybe the seal stripe was to make up for what "staples" weren't holding.
Go to Top of Page

james westfall

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  21:54:38  Show Profile
I have been an adjuster for only a short time but have several years expirience in the construction industry. About 9 years ago I had a custom home built in a north suburb of Denver, Colorado. The roofing was installed in January. That March when the wind came the shingles left the building just like Elvis. New shingles were replaced over the entire roof after going round and round with the contractor. This has been the only roof that I have been personally involved with that I know for fact was put on in cold weather.

JAMES K. WESTFALL
Go to Top of Page

danguyer

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  08:05:02  Show Profile
I suppose you can 3-tabs can be installed during the winter months in the warmer climates of the U.S. Try installing 3-tabs in northern MN when the teperature is -20. I don't think so.
Inspect a roof in January that is full of ice and snow. Good luck!!

Dan Guyer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000