Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fireman4528

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  01:01:30  Show Profile
Hello to everyone,

As you can tell I am new to CADO. I am also fairly new to the adjusting field. I would like to know what kind of Internet access you guys and gals are using. With the increasing number of photos wanted in a file, and with Xactimate just waiting to crash on you, I know speed is a real issue. If anyone has some kind of high-speed connection that travels with you, fill me in. Thanks

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  01:30:13  Show Profile
Unless you know of some way to get DSL in your hotel room you're either stuck with dial up or you can carry a satelite dish with you.
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  06:43:29  Show Profile
I would sure like to try the DIRECT WAY system, has anyone tried that yet?
From what I read it looks like a winner, its on the internet full time. That would save a lot of time and agravation, trying to get hooked up. Of course you would need a clear shot at the satelite, a small reel of cable and lots of tie wraps. A surveyers tripod may be handy. On an RV you could have a more permenant hook up. Even the ladder rack on you vehicle would be a good mounting place if you used one. Oh well maybe if I use that system I'll find out.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  09:38:16  Show Profile
I use 802.11b on a regular basis. Yesterday I accessed a wireless access point in the parking lot of a Texaco service station along I-40 at Lonoke, AR. Sent and received my email.

Dave Hood has the best set up for mobile internet access using 802.11b. And no this does not require a satelite dish.
Go to Top of Page

Fireman4528

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  09:34:21  Show Profile
I have been looking at some satellites but they all say that they require professional installation. This obviously wouldn't work on a storm site. Does anyone do it themselves? I put up my own dish network dish without a problem. They say that this is different because it is a two-way dish. Does anyone know?

Who or what is a Dave Hood and how can I get info on it? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Russ

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  09:57:30  Show Profile
Fireman, you need to come to the CADO Convention and Dave Hood will show you his system.He and Chuck Deaton are going to give a class on "tools of the trade".It will be on all the latest gadgets to make us more money faster. Get signed up today!!!Ya'll have a great day and PLEASE work safe.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  11:39:04  Show Profile
802.11.B is a great system. If you can find an unsecure network. I have used net stumbler to just drive around and see what I can pick up. It's kind of fun.

As far as directway goes, you don't need professional help to aim the dish, from what I heard, it's just like the dish you already have as far as aiming. I think what they are talking about is professional help in configuring your computer to work with it. If you know anything at all about computers you shouldn't have a problem with it.

I have a friend who has a satellite that he travels with, just for TV reception. He said that he is going to try to use Directway on the road this year. I'll let you know how it goes.

I was in a car stereo store the other day talking to one of the owners. He was telling me he just finished installing a phased array antenna on an RV that picks up direct TV without having to aim the dish. It is just a flat pannel that looks kind of like a solar panel. You can put it on a bus, motor home, trailer, boat and no matter how fast you go or which direction you turn it always gets a good signal. It's about the same price as those gyroscopicly alligned domes that they have on RV's and boats but it is only a couple of inches thick. When it's up on the roof you can't even see it. He said that in 5 years he thinks these things will be the standard and you won't see those gray dishes growing off the sides of houses any more.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  13:23:17  Show Profile
If you use an antenna with some gain and an amplifier finding an unsecure network is not that difficult. There are several in Arkansas that I use as I travel. Coupled with motels with broadband communication is not as difficult as it usta be.

If you stay legal a certified installer is needed to aim a dish.

Dave Hood is a cat adjuster and posts here under Katadj, or something similar
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  18:08:17  Show Profile
To transmit a signal you need an fcc licensee to certify it conforms to bandwidth and power requirements. Also the spectrum must be checked for adjacent chanel interference. Receivers are not controled. I have been a Commercial licensee for about fourty years. BS (before satelites):>)
I thought of using a satelite for communications with my home VIA the Amatuer Radio Service, Satelite, OSCAR. That would be limited to personal use and data.
I never concidered the set up of the Direct Way system, would create a problem for people on the road, that wasn't a licensee.
Chuck has the system with the most promise and probably more convenient even for me. I look forward to seeing some of the gadgets, and how they are used.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  18:42:45  Show Profile
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/index.html is where Dave Hood and I got our equipment. Al Souza will help you.
Go to Top of Page

Fireman4528

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  12:06:34  Show Profile
I am reading up on the 802.11.B system I had never heard of it before. How fast of a connection can you get with it?

Also I am looking at getting a 5th wheel to work out of does anyone have one of those dishes that mounts on top and points itself?
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  12:38:20  Show Profile
Travis, you may want to check into a phased array antenna for your rig. It is flat and looks like a solar pannel and it always gets a good signal as long as it is not obstructed. I don't know however if it will transmit, it may only be good for receiving satellite. The gyroscopically mounted domes work well, but they are expensive, as are the phased array antennas. If you are just using the dish for recieving, a normal dish will work, with a little practice it only takes about 5 minutes to get one aimed. I have a friend that carries his dish with him and he won't leave home without it.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  17:07:57  Show Profile
Run 802.11b and/or 2400 mhz thru Google.
Go to Top of Page

ShermaninCO

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  17:43:47  Show Profile
Chuck, the link in your previous post was most helpful. What antenna rating do you use and do you use omni or directional?
I recall reading an article a while back where a guy in Hawaii used his van as a mobile repeater so he could access while in the field away from the van. I'm not sure how he accomplished that, but it makes you think. the possibilies are endless.

Bill Sherman
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  23:25:54  Show Profile
Some of us use a omni directional 8 db Gain rooftop antenna. They are available in fixed or magnetic mountings.

This coupled with an amplifier, will give you maximum gain. The antenna must be connected to a wireless card that supports an antenna such as the Orinico gold card.

An excellent book on the topic is "802.11 Demystified" By the LaRocca's and published by McGraw-Hill, about $40.00

Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  23:32:50  Show Profile
Ok, Hood and Deaton, you guys are so kewl and raz with your latest techie toys, that you think everyone else here understands at least the basics of this new language you guys are talking.

Remembering that some of us just last week gave up the tin cans and waxed string, how about one or both of you walking us through the basics of 802.11 and what you're talking about.

What does it mean? What does it cost? What does it do? How do adjusters utilize it in saving time and making money?

Help. It's all Geek to me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000