CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives
 All Forums
 Claim Handling
 General Discussion
 "Isabel", is a Hot Potato headed behind?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  10:20:34  Show Profile
In checking the provided website, under news announcements, they have also purchased EDS. Now what is there in the way of competition for the WYO carriers to choose to service their flood claims?

Competition = Zero. Profits = HUGE.

Is this fair? Reasonable? Proper? Legal? Responsible? Hardly. (Neither was Enron or World Com)
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  10:57:24  Show Profile
There are lots of options for the carriers. The vendor I work for does flood work. Most big IA vendors do.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  12:04:32  Show Profile
The question remains:

How many "servicing agents" are available to the Carriers (WYO) to compete for the work? Do the WYO’s service their own claims? In order to have a competitive marketplace there has to be competition.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  15:51:32  Show Profile
Yes, the WYO carriers service their own flood claims and contract with IA vendors to handle the overflow. Just like any other catastrophe.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  13:20:52  Show Profile
North Carolina Visits:

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=11747
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  16:08:51  Show Profile
This will set an interesting precedent for future flood losses. It's turning into a 100% case review on top of the already stringent initial examination of the loss by the file examiners. I would suspect that it will the adjuster who will wind up being the whipping boy so the NFIP honchos can come off looking good.

Yet another reason to stay away from flood work. I know...some folks like it, that's fine. I just want them to know they will have no competition from me.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  15:12:09  Show Profile
Yes, Virginia, there is a ___________________________:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=68933&ran=221602
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  15:15:37  Show Profile
If they keep this postion in the furtur then flood work may be ok, if only they paid decent on the low end.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  16:57:12  Show Profile
Kile, please name some of the options alluded to in your 4/12 posts.
Go to Top of Page

ALANJ

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  17:12:52  Show Profile
I read the above article. GW wants to be president real bad.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  17:13:34  Show Profile
More Counties to be visited:

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=11807
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  17:24:47  Show Profile
Chuck are you refering to the options WYO carriers have for getting their flood claims serviced? If that is what you mean, I am flood certified as are many of my co-workers. I have worked flood claims for Big Red through my vendor and I know of others who have worked flood claims for Big Blue also through another national vendor that is not known as a flood only outfit. I think all the major IA vendors keep a stable of flood certified adjusters for that kind of work.
Go to Top of Page

Stormdame

7 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  19:05:05  Show Profile
Worked lots of NFIP claims in MD this last season. Have been paid for claims worked. Total of 121 claims which included Dwelling, General and Condo.

Always attempt to work claims in the fullest professional manner possible. Do your research and give docs supporting your pricing. Know what you are talking about.

To many adjusters do not work claims in a full professional manner and do not have the knowledge to do so. Often the lack of research skills will cause adjuster submit improper docs which cause the files not to close properly.

Spoke with lots of adjusters that mailed the Proof of Loss out to the insured and left the site not knowing if the Proof of Loss was returned in the proper and timely manner.

Do your work properly, close your claim professional and see the difference it makes in your pay. Have been working flood claims now for over 8 years, I have no company that does a hold back on me. Thankfully I have few files that get reopened. Close all files in a manner that will kept them closed.

Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  23:18:28  Show Profile
Stormdame: I guess the problem NFIP will identify when they review all these flood claims is that you didn't work them? You closed all files in a manner that will "kept" them closed? Based on what I have read in this thread and my experience working flood claims, there are a multitude of problems with the NFIP. I would imagine the least of the problems were caused by adjusters. But of course, adjusters will bear the brunt of the blame. Maybe President Bush will apologize for the mess. I bet John Kerry has a plan to fix it, he'll turn it over to NATO.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  09:20:09  Show Profile
We were told, in Southaven, MS, earlier this week, that the NFIP has sent out 25,000 letters those policyholders with claims asking if they are satisfied with the settlement. My expectation is that flood files will reopen at about the same rate no matter who handled the claim.

Closing the Isabel flood claims may take longer than closing the earthquake claims.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000