Hi Speed Internet
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  08:42:38  Show Profile
Generally, I am interested in finding sites, countywide and especially in hurricane prone areas, where Hi Speed Internet service is available and am asking that this thread be used to record sites that are found by other members. This would include sites where 802.11b is available.

The Radisson Hotel in Baton Rouge, LA has Hi Speed Internet available.

Also, I need assistance in finding a hotel/motel in Tulsa, OK that has High speed internet available.

I will be traveling to Tulsa on a regular basis.

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  12:08:37  Show Profile
Hi Chuck, I am told that the Hilton Garden Inn (near the airport) in Tulsa, has High Speed Internet access available.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  12:38:10  Show Profile
Chuck, two more to consider in Tulsa that apparently have in room HSI access;
Quality Suites, 4 miles from airport, zip 74145
Doubletree Tulsa Downtown, 10 miles from airport, zip 74127
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  20:48:09  Show Profile
Clayton, you have piqued my curiosity, how do you know about the hotels/motels you mention?

I hope that this thread will become a data base for HSI and 802.11b sites.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  21:07:00  Show Profile
Hilton Garden Inn
7728 East Virgin Court, Tulsa, OK 74115
(918) 838-0727

No HSI per the desk clerk
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  21:09:09  Show Profile
Doubletree Hotels Doubletree Tulsa-Downt
616 W 7th St, Tulsa, OK 74127
(918) 587-8000

No HSI per the desk clerk
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  22:40:39  Show Profile
Chuck, I'm very sorry that turned out to be BS, hopefully the Quality Suites is correct.

This really pisses me off! If there was someone around to call terrible names right now I would.

I took the time, following your initial post, did a Google search saying "accomodations with high speed internet in Tulsa Oklahoma"; the damn thing spit up about 40 places, and I checked the "detail" screen of each - I clearly saw the three I mentioned as saying they had HSI access.

Why the hell do people advertise this specific ammenity, if in fact they don't have it? The other 37 each mentioned a modem or data port, or nothing about the internet; but the three I mentioned each said they had HSI clearly in the blah blah of their place.

I might call those SOBs tomorrow and tell them about this BS; I gotta go, I'm too angry. I'm really sorry for misleading you - I'll get my point across tomorrow to them.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  07:21:29  Show Profile
Clayton, perhaps they do have it, sometimes the person who answers the phone is so, how to put it politely, ignorant that they don't know what I am talking about.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  09:29:03  Show Profile
Chuck, I hear you about the sometimes dismal front desk / receptionist mentality or knowledge of the facility they work in.

I called the two that you got negative responses from.

Hilton Garden, spoke with Elaina Zapata, Sales Mgr - they do have HSI. I pointed out the discrepancy in comments, she went away and came back and again confirmed they do have HSI

Doubletree, spoke with Germaine, Sales Exec - they do not have HSI, she first said yes, I pointed out the conflicting info, she went away and later confirmed they don't have it. She was aware it was in their advertising, but was not aware it did not exist there. I still wouldn't bet a cold beer whether they do or don't at this location.
Go to Top of Page

kbt

1 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  15:10:25  Show Profile
This website lists hotels by state with High Speed Internet Access.

http://www.geektools.com/geektels/showstates.php?country=USA
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2002 :  22:43:09  Show Profile
Hey, now that is a help. Kudos to kbt
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  20:16:25  Show Profile
The Hilton Gardens in Tulsa has Hi Speed internet. The provider is Cox Communications. $104 a night plus

I also saw a sign in Owasso at the Holiday Inn Express, I will try that next time.

My question is how to configure an Outlook account so that I can send email? Any solutions?
Go to Top of Page

Wes

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  21:58:52  Show Profile
Hey Chuck I am a little bit of a computer geek so I maybe able to help you. First off the easiest way to solve your problem is to sign up for a web based email account such as yahoo or any of the many others. With these you send your emails thru the internet and not thru outlook express. They are free and you can access them from anywhere in the world as long as you have web access. The second choice would be to use your internet service providers web based e-mail site. You probably have either AOL or Earthlink since they are the two most popular in the country. you simply go to aol.com or earthlink.com click on "web mail" or something similiar and enter your passwords and you have full email access. If you have another service I am sure they offer the same type of email access, just go to your service providers homepage. Now this next one answers your question directly and requires some technical know-how but is very easy to complete once you've tried it a few times. You will have to call the service providers technical support phone# at the hotel you are staying at. The information you will need are the outgoing and incoming email server addresses for the highspeed internet access you are using. It is possible they may also have this information at the hotel front desk since anyone trying to use outlook express would need it. With this info you simply go to the tools menu in outlook express then to accounts then click on your email account and select properties. Under the severs tab is where you will enter the information you obtained from the service provider or the front desk. You should have to only enter a outgoing mail server since that is realy the only change, this is hard to explain but your incoming mail is still coming from your at home mail server. Click apply and your done that should do it. Remember to save the old server information because you will need it when you return home. If I have missed any steps it will not be hard for you to figure out, this is actually a very simple process you just need to do it once to get the hang of it. I hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

jlombardo

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  08:35:51  Show Profile
WES....How about just taking a spare router with you...the router will act as an interperter and then you will not have to change settings on your laptop...Yes or No?
Go to Top of Page

Wes

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  15:42:32  Show Profile
No that wont do it, a router assigns individual IP addresses to the different computers in your home. The router makes each computer individualy identifiable on your home network when you are only paying for one IP address from your service provider. The problem is going to be that outgoing mail server. You will have to configure Outlook Express to use the outgoing mail server on whatever service provider you use at the hotel. You can still use the router at the hotel if you wish to hook up a laptop and a desktop however if you like to bring more than one computer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000